Noise figure measurements--tire kicking requested

George Herold wrote: : I don't suppose anyone has a link/ reference to an article that shows : an actual circuit. I've been trolling the web with no luck. It's

Like Jeroen said its quite simple. Take an inverting amplifier with a gain of, say, 10 V/V. Then connect a feedback resistor of

500ohms across it. Now look at the amp input (I'm too tired to mind A-1 vs. A): it looks like a 50 ohm resistor with 1/10 of the noise temperature (provided that the amplifier is noiseless). The simplest inverting amplifier is a single transistor.

Many amplifier IC's use the technique internally, including the VCA2611 and the AD8331. Actually I'm under impression that most low noise RF gain blocks use it internally.

: something I've never quite understood. Is it related to active : damping of mechanical systems?

Effectively the same thing.

This is the way to transform an amplifier into a refrigerator. Is there a generic way to transform a refrigerator into an amplifier? Both are devices which struggle to decrease entropy locally. Life does it, too.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Okkim Atnarivik

11
.

Thanks Mikko,

And for Phil H. on the nitrogen dewar front. It appears that models by Taylor and Wharton are the favorite amongst the physics 'lab guys'.

To quote one,

"We have been very happy with them. Taylor-Wharton models XTL8 and XT34. They claim an evaporation rate of 0.10 liter per day, and I can believe it. They have several different series of dewars, but these are made for the livestock industry and are specifically designed for extended storage."

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Thanks, George, I'll have a squint.