EV tire wear

A rarely discussed topic with EVs is their tire wear. Most people are unaware of how heavy EVs are, and the longer their range, the heavier they are. How heavy, do you ask? Well, the Tesla Model X weighs as much as my F-250 Super Duty diesel pickup! Yes, they are as heavy as a LARGE pickup! And, look at their tires - they don't look anything like the tires on my pickup. As a result, they wear faster than your average ICE car. In fact, they may wear out in as little as 20k miles. And the cost of replacing these tires IS NOT CHEAP! A new set of top line tires can cost $1,400:

Flyguy

It's rarely discussed, because nobody sane worries about it. Sewage Sweeper is a demented lunatic, so of course he's excited about it. The cost of owning a an expensive car is mainly it's capital depreciation. Fuel and tires are a trivial detail - though what you save because electricity is a cheaper source of power than the gas pump probably more than covers any extra you might spend on tires.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The tires on my model X (with the 100 kWh battery) lasted over 40k miles.

People often get wigged out by whatever BS web page they are reading. Your link isn't even about the miles to be expected from tires on a Tesla. The writer hasn't even worn out a set of tires yet.

"It will be about every 20,000 to 25,000 miles is my guess"

He is speculating based on exactly one data point.

Next time, try getting read data. Even the comments refer to getting over 40 kmiles.

Reply to
Ricky

The curb weight of a Model 3 is listed as between 3,862 to 4,048 lbs, which isn't that much heavier than other luxury sedans in the same class like the Cadillac CT5 and BMW 3 series.

And the cost of replacing these tires IS NOT CHEAP! A new set of top line tires can cost $1,400:

Ya, owning a luxury vehicle can be expensive. Most pickups sold these days are luxury vehicles (luxury priced, anyway) and a set of mid-tier truck tires at $200 a piece isn't uncommon.

Reply to
bitrex

My Leaf's tire is around $300 each or $1000 a set. They are run-flat, but I blew the side-wall for one of them after a year. Warranty didn't cover side wall damage.

Reply to
Ed Lee

So she has not been trained on a ZIL157... :D

It was just *impossible* to turn the wheel if not rolling, as opposed to just really hard. (18 years old me as a conscript got trained on one of these).

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

LOL You know nothing of Teslas. The Y and X are SUVs and will carry lots of people and goods. The 3 is a sedan, not intended to haul like a pickup truck. Some people buy cars to be nice transportation. Not everyone is a penny pinching miser.

The tires are not oversized. They are sized to the weight of the car, plus maximum load.

Easy to say, not so easy to do when parking. Sometimes you need to crank the wheel from one stop to the other before you start moving again. Just not enough room to do otherwise.

You do know that 180°F road temperatures would give an instant burn to flesh? I would not want to live there!

Reply to
Ricky