Nixie ring counter?

There's a rumor going around that you can hook up a few resistors, capacitors, and diodes to a Nixie tube and get it to count. No extra chips, transistors, SCR's, or other 4-layer thingies.

Now I can't find my old GE Glow Lamp manual which IIRC had something similar.

Anybody have a link to a schematic for such a thing?

Thanks,

George

Reply to
George R. Gonzalez

Not a nixie, but a Dekatron.

John

Search on Dekatron. It's not a standard Nixie tube.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I've seen it working, and I might be able to find out the email of the guy who built it. Send me an email if you are interested.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

There are some counting circuits in the Signalite book - online here :

There is also a link to the GE book on this page

Reply to
Mike Harrison

A quick google search for "sequential neon flasher NE2" found:

This shows individual neon bulbs, with a common ground. The same trick might work with a nixie tube as well, but the component values may have to be changed.. Here's another:

using the same NE2 network to trigger SCR's

And, another one:

Doug Warner

Thanks, that was it, the GE book on page 67-68 has a ring counter with just neons! Now to see how fast it will go...

Reply to
George R. Gonzalez

Remember though that with a nixie, all the gas is in one bottle so it may not behave the same as discrete neons.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Hmmm, my copy of the GE Book (2nd Edition) on page 62 says "several hundred pulses per second".

I remember a project from Electronics Illustrated back in the late 1960's that was an adding machine that used several decade counters made of these, with a telephone dial for the pulse generator and a switch to select which digit got incremented. You had to burn in the lamps and select those with the same breakover voltage for each decade.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Washington State resident

Reply to
Mark Zenier