NiCad Charger

Here's how the pros do it...

(;-))

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Wow, Radio Shack power supply AND multimeter. :-)

Looks nice.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yep. Had them literally _forever_ ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I'd figure it would have been Lafayette stuff, Did Radioshack exsit back then?

Martin Riddle

I used to shop Lafayette in Boston when I was a student, 1958-1962.

Radio Shack, at that time, was a warehouse on Commonwealth Avenue. Hand them a parts list. A few minutes later it would come down a conveyor belt, filled correctly. Those were the days ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I can't begin to imagine that happening today. :-(

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Isn't that hard to imagine, actually order parts by part number or name, and get what you want.

Now, at Radio Shack, the clerks aren't even knowledgeable enough to properly peddle cell phones :-(

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, that's what I meant -- Radio Shack is poor today.

DigiKey works just fine for "order by part number, correctly filled order coming rolling in on the UPS truck."

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Nice.

I use a neodymium boron iron magnet to attach a connector to a battery or to connect two batteries in series. Not as stable as a vice though :-)

Reply to
richard

Where d'ya get the plastic-jaw vise?

I've got toolmaker's vises and machine vises, but they're metal. An insulating vise would be handy to have.

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Try a Panavise for the lab bench. The regular heads have replaceable nylon faces, although metal jaws are available. There are also heads for edge-clamping PCBs and assorted other styles. One of these guys, and add the wide tray base.

Kinda like an Optivisor, should be a standard part of the kit. ;-)

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I think it was at Lowe's

I also have plastic one-hand-squeeze clamps, three different sizes ;-)

Yup. I have it with the "tray base mount".

I also own an Optivisor, probably had it for 30 years, or more ;-)

My problem is no established lab space. This past week my wife is painting wood "eggs" for Easter. I had to bring the drill press in from the garage and set up in the kitchen, drilling a support hole in the bottoms, holding them on a nail bed while she paints; and a tiny hole on top for an eye screw.

...Jim Thompson

Panavise cheap at Fry's.

Archimedes' Lever

...as does Mouser ... Jerry Mouser got his start peddling imported ("jappocrappo") parts to the aerospace geeks in San Diego out of the back of his station wagon in the company's parking lot at quitting time.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)