(NewbieSorry.) Making receiver/detector for a rotary laser level?

Any help/advice please? I wish to make my own receiver/detector for my rotary laser level. (Earthmoving application) Its not a visible beam. Standard detectors only give u limited feedback: high (height), level (on grade), low (below height). I'd love to make a verticle line of led's (20?30?) with 1 lighting where it detects the laser beam is striking, a much more analogue feedback. I have done some surfing but for the life of me unsuccessful so far. Thanks for your time.

Reply to
NotSure

A really clever device would use the LEDs themselves as the photosensors. Do a search on a phrase like "LED doubles as ambient light detector" and you'll get some additional hints. If you can see the laser in broad daylight, there should be no problem with this approach, even though LEDs are not particularly sensitive photodetectors. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

Turns out the beam wavelength will prob be 635nm and the laser spins at about 200rpm. I guess its the spinning that makes the beam "invisible".

Reply to
NotSure

Are you sure about the wavelength? ...or are you sure it's not visible? Even a spinning laser head with 635 nm wavelength should be visible, at least in dim light. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews