new Murata dc/dc converters with a ferrite toroid embedded in the PCB

Murata makes some cool converters, with a ferrite toroid embedded in the PCB, with windings made of traces and vias.

Recom has some new parts, similar but they use a conventional wound transformer.

Both have standard footprints.

The Muratas specify 2.5 pF isolation capacitance, and the Recoms spec

75 max.

We use the Muratas a lot, both 1W and 2W varieties. They're pretty inoffensive from an EMI point of view, which is a big win.

The Recoms look as though they're also toroids, but I can't tell from the photos or the datasheet.

Since custom packaging has become much cheaper, we're now using a combination of solid brass machined parts, 3-D printing, and laser cut sheet brass faceplates, e.g. these ones:

. The supplies go in the black plastic part and the photoreceiver inside the brass box, communicating via feedthrough caps in the old-school way. Bling bling!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gold plate it!

(Mo and I have been playing with gold leaf lately.)

We finally gave up on the dreadful Hammond boxes and custom labels. We have our own extrusions, blue anodized, and blast all the artwork with a Boss laser.

This gets us better EMI and some conduction cooling too. Top and bottom both come off, which is handy when we have parts on both sides of the board.

On a sunny day (Tue, 27 Sep 2022 12:44:27 -0700) it happened John Larkin <jlarkin@highland_atwork_technology.com> wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Makes a bad impression I would like connectors fixed mechanically to the front panel as this way any forces are directly passed to the peeseebee. The trimmer holes look similary shit The trimmer texts are vertical, try w i d t h

back to the drawing board.

Do you guys do anything with 3D printing or metal 3D printing?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Think about the forces when the connector is fastened to the panel.

Feel free to not buy any. We don't mind.

Show us some of your products.

Plastic 3D for some test fixtures. Actually, machining usually makes more sense.

A horrific sight to behold. Nonetheless, it's good enough for government work.

On the other hand, companies who manufacture consumer products must put more thought into design language:

A couple of years ago Larkin bad-mouthed PAIA's engineers because they used pots in their legacy design:

Danke,

Reply to
Don

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2022 16:19:14 -0000 (UTC)) it happened "Don" snipped-for-privacy@crcomp.net wrote in snipped-for-privacy@crcomp.net:

A real UJT as oscillator, I still have some from ebay .. sine out, wonder about the harmonics... Well that is the intension... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:39:04 -0700) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Those are controlled by you during assembly, but you never met Big Joe who can turn anything past breakpoint,..

Freedom!!! Mr Hobbs is selling quantum light detectors for 1200 $ ?? Did you read this:

I followed all the links and postings to get the details.

1*2=2 4*3=12 2*5=10 The rest is now classified but will be used against the US if they keep destroying pipelines.

If you can do it with a lathe, yes perhaps. There is a company that makes whole rocket engines using metal 3D printing

Jan Panteltje

Pots are a bad, expensive substitute for managing tolerances and betas and quiescent currents and such. Sometimes they are great for calibration, especially for fast stuff.

Motec "ScrewDriver ECU" from sometime in the 80's:

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's not just consumer - it's music production. Those folk are true aesthetes. Musicians believe that beautiful instruments enable them to make more beautiful music, and I think they're right.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's a fact that beautiful schematics and pcb's work better than ugly ones.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people don't think about what they are seeing, and aesthetic appreciation isn't a rational process. If a schematic or a pcb just looks like one that worked well in the past, you are going to like it better than one that looks like something that didn't. As "facts" go, this has to be one of the less useful ones.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

If your designer can't design a board and front panel that doesn't stress the connector, you need to get a new designer!

Lots of people don't buy your products. Do you want a list?

Reply to
Ricky

I find dollar signs to be very aesthetic. That is what the boards produce, so the ultimate perspective on the work.

Reply to
Ricky

Leave connector nuts loose?

We use a fair number of U.FL to SMA bulkhead cables, which solves both problems.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

we use edge launch SMAs and fit them to the panel before soldering

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's expensive and labor intensive and wouldn't work very well in a small box with lots of connectors.

We are not seeing connectors broken off of PC boards. They make Corvettes from epoxy-glass.

We did get one batch of end plates with anodize in the countersunk holes, in defiance of the notes on the drawing. We'll have to touch up with a countersink to clean them up, a mild nuisance. I wonder if there is a kind of flathead screw that has groves or teeth on the bevels to scrape through the anoddize. I'd google but I don't know what to call that.

Maybe our Boss laser could do it, clean out the anodize on the countersinks.

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Sep 2022 08:05:21 -0700) it happened John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highlandSNIPMEtechnology.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Well I think you know what I mean... Today was interesting, I killed my Chinese satellite receiver box few days ago in the storm likely did draw too much power when I moved the dish against the storm we had. had replaced the original current limited 12 V wallwart with a more powerful one.. my fault... It would still move the dish but always to the wrong angle.. Dish motor on PC sat card OK,, So dish positioner OK. Bought the thing for about 30$ or so on ebay years ago, 1080 progressive HD, >900 free TV channels, many satellites.. Lots like these now for double that price locally... Anyways opened it, and could not find any defective parts Very nice multilayer board, very dense, tuner, several switchmode converters... no partnumers readable.. Almost gave up.. what could it be? lots of work to enter all my satellites and stations in a new one.. then I had an idea, nothing to lose... switched from manual angle definitions to USALS and low and behold, now I have even more stations Probably a bit flipped in the firmware, but in USALS it calculates position from your current (GPS) location each time you select a sat,

And look how nice it is made,:

that is a 500 MHz processor under that little heatsink (ball grid array) The buttons and display are on a separate PCBs conencted with flex cable. You can open it by removing 2 screws in the back thin metal housing just slides backward... nice cinch connectors screwed against the back LNB input fixed to tuner module that is fixed to the PCB can take a hit

and 30$ !!!! There is a LOT to learn from this, I had it all apart and was amazed by the PCB layout

My hat off to the designer of that box.

Value for money .. value for many... many versions :-)

Jan Panteltje