Integrate DC/DC converters in a friendly package

I'd like to use an integrated DC/DC converter on a PCB, but I can't use BGA/LGA or similar package. I have only a very small size on the PCB to design a full DC/DC converter. Moreover, the price is similar to an all-in-one integrated module.

I see uModule from Linear and solutions from Texas, but they all have complex packages (the pads are located under the body and not the sides).

I need a single 3.3-5V 1A output with an input voltage in the range 10-15V.

Do you know a suitable product for me?

Reply to
pozz

Non-isolated? A tiny synchronous switcher chip and an inductor and a couple of caps will do it. TI has an online form you can fill out that makes recommendations.

5 watts is too much for really tiny/cheap potted converters, like the 7805 replacements.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

LMZ21701 from TI gives up to 6W (6V at 1A) and its package is microscopic. Unfortunately isn't simple to mount on the PCB (the pad is behind the package).

Reply to
pozz

6V 1A output does not necessary dissipate 6W. If you have 15V input, it's (15V - 6V) times (1 - switching efficiency) * current, or something like that.
Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Pin*efficiency = Pout

with efficiencies in the 90's the dissipation is a few 100 mW

supposedly good for several amps, and same size as a TO220

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So, you've painted yourself into a corner. We've all done it. Next design, try to leave more space, or start with a more flexible power supply section.

This time, consider options other than 'small so it fits': mezzanine board, reroute other circuitry, increase size of PCB, redesign to utilize existing power, add auxiliary outputs to main power, encapsulated DC/DC module (basically, this just means getting someone else's design of mezzanine board).

Reply to
whit3rd

Have you looked at the RECOM range?

Reply to
pedro

Maybe really small, but easily-soldered parts? Converters in SOT-23 packages, running at high frequencies like 1.4MHz. E.g., the NCP1529, TPS562200, ADP2301, SY8008C, AL8805, LMR10510, and XC9257. These go above 1A, but there are others that use an external MOSFET to higher.

I often resort to mounting smt parts on the bottom when space is scarce.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

you might want to replace the pot with a couple of resistors to lock in the voltage..

Reply to
T. Keating

A bit pricy compared to this for $1.90

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

The TI Simple Switcher series has chips with a small number of pins.

--
I will not see posts from astraweb, theremailer, dizum, or google
because they host Usenet flooders.