Need PCB Layout Done - Inexpensive

I should start with this is a personal, not for profit, will never be for profit project and will never be sold in any form, although it may be shared with fellow X-10 Home Automation hobbyists such as myself, so I am on a low budget. So I am thinking in the 100 bucks tops range for this work. (You can post to Jim Thompson on this formum if you have any question about me honoring my word on this kind of stuff.)

I know this kind of work done by a pro or for that matter anyone with the skills is worth more the 100 bucks so I in no way mean to demean the work, but on the other hand if there is a student, hobbyist, retired engineer with some time on their hands and would like to pick up a $100 or so, then this is addressed to you.

I recently had a very successful adventure here getting help in designing a relay control board for my Alarm system (actually one member Jim Thompson designed the circuit, I just provided the specs and requirements). This went from concept to working in 10 days, so I do work fast with whoever is helping me, but at these prices will of course work at the pace you set.

After I had a schematic, I ordered the parts, and built it on my breadboard and it works perfectly, been smoke testing it for days now and in a week or so of burn-in testing I want to finish this project and take it off the breadboard and build it.

My initial plan and what may be the result depending on the replies to this message was to just put it on a perf board and wire it together, I have done this plenty of times. Then two things came to mind, one was it would be nice to have this on a real PCB and the second is more of a "wish list" item, but one that is very attractive to me.

I looked at a couple of the free PCB Layout programs, like from PCB Express and saw that the software was not all that hard to use, but the hard part was knowing what to plug in for all the values, trace width, pad sizes, hole sizes and so on. I just need a couple of these boards, a main one and a spare, and don't do enough projects of this nature to want to invest the time it would take to learn it all, nor make all of the newbie mistakes that come with anything like this.

One thing to note is I have links to all of the datasheets for the parts I used, I ordered them all from Digi-Key and can provide those links. The $100 buck range is have someone use one of those programs from a place that will make a couple of boards for no more than $100 bucks, I saw plenty of them as I looked around at this. So 100 for the PBC layout guy (you), and 100 for the 2 boards. The next option, from my wish list is for someone willing to miniturize this, reduce as many parts to smd parts and make a really small footprint board (but not so small I can't solder the parts myself, I have soldered smd parts before.)

Wooow, long preamble...

Part 1. PCB Layout Work

I have the schematic and the data sheets for all of the parts (and parts list of course), but I have never used any of the PCB software out there to make a PCB I could send off and have built, so I am looking for someone take the schematic I have and the list of links to the data sheets on the parts and do the work in a form that a board maker in my price range will accept (ie. passes their requirements to make one.)

Part 2. Make it all a LOT smaller... In this case I would provide the schematic, parts lists, and datasheet links and someone would figure out the the smallest reasonable parts and produce a parts list (including where I can get them from), and also design the PCB I would need made, same as Part 1. We could negotiate a fee for this extra work, but keep in mind it would be nominal like the origial fee I am offering.

So if there are any takers, please either respond here or you can email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com.

Schematic Link:

Links to pictures of it on my bread board:

Link to "Big Picture" what I am getting done:

I know have everything in that pig picture link except a PCB to build the relay circuit on, the reason I am interested in a small version is that when I first posted this idea I was thinking it would be a few parts and I could easily get them in the case of the alarm control, but at this size, I will have to put it in an external box, not the end of the world, but fitting inside would be cool.

Finally, just so you know what all this does, is that I wanted a way to turn on my X-10 Camera's when I Arm my X-10 DS-7000 Alarm System and then turn the Camera's off when I disarm the system.

Thanks for your time! WildBill

Reply to
Bob Thomas
[snip]

[snip]

Learn Chinese.

Good luck!

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

-- snip --

Consider getting yourself an ARRL Handbook (your local library may have one if you're lucky). They have excellent material on "ugly construction", which _is_ ugly but which can be made very reliable. I have a 12V power supply that I have used since 1991 that is built with a variant of one of their methods, and it has had no problems with workmanship (I recently found out that plugging a battery into it when it's powered down fries the output transistors, but that had nothing to do with the supply).

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Thanks for your suggestion but before I even consider outsourcing I will try to find someone in the US. You would be amazed at the goodwill that can be found in this country.

WildBill

Reply to
Bob Thomas

Tim, Thanks for your suggestion, it looks like I may have a taker for the project, now to just work out the details but I will look for that book anyway, I have likely made many "ugly" (depending on what there definition of that is) circuits since 100% of the ones I have done have been on perf boards, proto-boards, and one I even just strung together using no board, just wire wrap wire, solder, and shrink wrap :) They all worked even if they were not something that "looked" good.

I just thought I this one I might like to go for a look good too approach. WildBill

Reply to
Bob Thomas

Hey Bill Send me a email. I do a lot of work in Eagle.

Martin Riddle

i send you an email please consider it. thank you

Reply to
shahram.dashti

"Bob Thomas" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Can be done. I mailed you so.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Yeah, okay. If you're not in a hurry, I can make you up a PCB layout for it. Are you happy with a 3 pin block for the +5VDC, GND & LED connections? I'm assuming that screw terminals would be okay for the relay outputs. Also, how small do you want it? 4x3" max would be pretty easy.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Bob, I sent you an email a few days ago to let you know that I've already converted your schematic into EAGLE, and will layout the board for you for free. Please email me at: v z e 2 4 h 5 m @ verizon.net (without the spaces, of course)

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Sorry Dave I must have missed it, will email you.

Thanks

Reply to
Bob Thomas

Dear BOB Here is the link of your PCB data:

I hope you like it Please check the schematic I didn't check it carefully. I will send the file trough the email. if you wanted any changes ,please email me ; snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Thank you and enjoy Shahram Dashti

Reply to
shahram.dashti

Impresive !!!

The response you got, that is. (I for one, wanted to volunteer)

Best regards

Josep

Reply to
djj08230

Hi Shahram, I replied to you in email, thank you very much for your efforts. Your mail got caught in my junk mail filter for some reason and I missed it and am sorry, I was not intentionally ignoring you!

Reply to
Bob Thomas

Thank you Josep,

I don't know why I am still amazed at the level of support the members of SED offer, but over maky years it has shown me the spirit is alive and well in at least this group.

I used to be able to contribute much more myself years ago but moved in to management and have lost a lot of hands-on skills. That said I do contribute where I can in other forums, like the X-10 Hobby forums where I am in a mix of people I can usually help (and keep them from getting electrocuted or burning their house down :)

The guys in the this group are great, sometimes you get a little crap from some, but that is life, gotta take the good with the bad, but here the good far exceeds the bad.

I should have a PCB soon and be able to finish this project and then write it up in a step-by-step form that X010 hobbyists can follow if they want to make one, my last X-10 modification had a lot of takers and was PIC based and after 50 or so I lost count on how many PIC's I burned and sent out to people, that is one of the reasons I wanted to do this project without a PIC.

Again, thanks for your offer, but I am swimming in PCB helpers now and have no doubt a PBC will come out at the end of the process. I will post links to pics when I get a PCB made, one with it populated, and one with it in action. As I noted, the prototype is on my bench on a breadboard getting smoke tested, been over a week now and no some as well as perfect operation.

WildBill

Reply to
Bob Thomas

WildBill; I sent an email with the PCB files and haven't heard back from you. Did you get the email?

-Dave Pollum (v z e 2 4 h 5 m @ verizon.net)

Reply to
Dave P

I'm not the OP, but I'm curious - what PCB CAD package did you use?

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave P