NASA?s most advanced telescope complete after 20 years (PHOTO)

You don't choose to use bombs (though it's not certain for how long) but your hate is real.

More evidence.

Reply to
krw

No, it's just that you consider them to be sub-human.

Jasen Betts

You're cracked.

Reply to
krw

Typical right-whinger projecting again.

Jasen Betts

ot be

s not make

imalistic

is not

t,

t a

planation

t that

ven

he

mb.

Krw knows this in the same way that krw knows most things. Evidence doesn't come into it.

Doesn't follow. Having silly ideas is perfectly human. Trying to get rid of most them is a popular human past-time, but not universal, as krw exemplif ies.

Exactly as sad as militant theists. One bunch insists that God exists, the other than he doesn't. Agnostics jeer at both on the basis that the questio n isn't worth worrying about. If God wanted us to know that he existed, he' d have given us unambiguous proof.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

42?

It's not a trick. It's a clear example that an all powerful god can not exist. It is a self contradiction that comes directly from the idea of an all powerful god.

This was debated on a show called "Closer to Truth". One religious scholar rationalized this by saying that God had the power to create an object too heavy for himself to lift, but as long as he didn't create it, there was no contradiction. I think that is not a very good way to deal with this issue.

--

Rick C
Reply to

I think you are mistaken. There is no "four sided triangle" involved here. If god can't create an object so big he can't lift it, then he has this limitation. It is not a limitation of logic. At least I don't think so.... lol That one needs more thought I think.

Still, if there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of god, then god's existence can't make a difference in anyone's life. The

*belief* in the existence of god *can* make a difference however, which is not at all related to the actual existence of god.
--

Rick C
Reply to

The English Bible is a translation and often has different meanings than the original Bible could have been interpreted to have. I seem to recall reading this passage is one of those where it can have a rather different interpretation.

--

Rick C
Reply to

The cause is not in the future. The cause is in your present desire to impact the future.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You really do have comprehension problems, and/or a remarkable ability to turn a blind eye to things you don't want to see.

That verse requires Christ's disciples *hate* their family etc. Not dislike, not distrust, not have second priority, but *hate*.

*hate* father and mother, wife and children,

(My *emphasis*)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

In which case the bible cannot be *the* word of God!

It might be what somebody (mis)heard while God was mumbling, but not much more :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I know that religious people can only hate other people that think differently, but that does not mean those other people do that too.

Reply to
Rob

The common problem again... the people that wrote down their myths and those that called it "the Bible" lived in a culture so different from ours, with a language so different, that it cannot be used today without ending up in a fight about "interpretation".

Reply to
Rob

I don't know about that, I find myself telling GOD to Damn it when something does not work as expected!

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

You misunderstand.

All over Scripture, we're commanded to love our neighbour as ourselves, and God's love for us is likened to both the love of parents for children and (surprisingly) eros--the Church is called the Bride of Christ.

Jesus was using normal rabbinical hyperbole to emphasize that we have to love God more than anything or anyone else. That's the teaching of the Church from earliest times as well.

The passage you're misquoting is Luke 14:25-26. Jesus is being followed by large crowds, and he's teaching them that there's more to discipleship than that: following him involves letting go of the whole world. The pericope reads in full:

Luke 14:25 Now great multitudes accompanied him; and he turned and said to them,

Luke 14:26 "If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Luke 14:28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?

Luke 14:29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,

Luke 14:30 saying, 'This man began to build, and was not able to finish.'

Luke 14:31 Or what king, going to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and take counsel whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?

Luke 14:32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends an embassy and asks terms of peace.

Luke 14:33 So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

He says the same sort of thing quite a lot, e.g. in the parables of the buried treasure and the pearl of great price:

Matthew 13:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up; then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

Matthew 13:45 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls,

Matthew 13:46 who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.

Heaven lasts forever, and is God's free gift to us--all we have to do is to say 'yes' and mean it. It's just that meaning it means valuing the gift at its true worth, which is far more than everything else we have. It's not that we shouldn't love our families, or save for the future, or have a good time, not at all. Loving God makes us love our earthly families more, not less. But all those things have to come second.

You see, it's fatally easy to delude ourselves into thinking that we're disciples of Christ, and then discover too late that we were really holding on to something else more tightly--pride, security, hatred, self-righteousness, our houses, the good opinion of our family and friends, lots of things--so that we hadn't really said 'yes' at all.

God doesn't want our stuff, he wants _us_, because he loves us. That's why it's the Good News.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

So presumably He is also using rabbinical hyperbole in many other cases too, e.g. Mark 12:31 ... ?Love your neighbor as yourself.? ...

I must admit that is convenient, since it means that I can interpret the Bible in just about any way that suits my purposes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

(Snippage restored.)

You presume a lot. ;) I didn't say "invariable rabbinic hyperbole", just that it's a rhetorical trope.

You seem to be doing that already. How about cutting it up into ransom notes? Then you could have new vocabulary as well. "Oh look, I found curse words in the Bible!" ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, why not join the club; everybody else does it :)

Seems to be pretty much de rigueur in this group :(

Because the "curse concepts" are more interesting :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nope. Just a statement of fact.

Reply to
krw

You're cracked, too. You don't even make any sense.

Reply to
krw