Picture processing in LCD/Plasma TV

Hi All,

I record stuff on VHS tape at half-speed to take to a friend of mine's home.

I think it is fair to say most people would think half-speed VHS pictures aren't very good quality.

Anyway, the friend bought a 50" LCD TV, after a power surge took out her CRT TV. I thought the half-speed VHS would be really awful on such a large screen, but it is actually a surprisingly good quality picture.

Anyway, checking at home on a standard CRT TV the picture is the usual half-speed VHS crap quality. But on an LCD TV the picture is really very good. As in chalk and cheese.

It seems the picture processing built into modern flat screen TV's is pretty good, and can even "repair" half-speed VHS pictures to look pretty darn good.

Until I did this test I was unaware modern TV's incorporate picture processing.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Or perhaps the truth is that a CRT TV makes any picture even worse.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

(snip)

Sylvia,

I don't actually find there is a striking difference between CRT and LCD or Plasma with pictures coming direct from an SD or HD tuner.

Most CRT screens these days are 100 Hz 625 double line repeat, so are essentially 1250 line screens.

I watch all three types of sceens regularly here because of my particular setup and my viewing habits.

They all look fine to me on direct material, except half-speed VHS is way better on a LCD or plasma screen because of the inbuilt picure processing of these screens.

Ross

Reply to
RMD