and is

-term

t the

ag/ list.

have a

o and

e below.)

some

her right-wing lunatic to to tell just who has just e-mailed him privately.

igned job on you.

Sure you would. Nobody has ever accused you of good judgement.

You don't like me, but that doesn't make me any kind of cancer. John Larkin probably comes closer to that, in tat he posts a lot of stuff and very li ttle of it is useful.

levant, which you can only do with your mindless attempts to put others dow n.

Posting nonsense is what gets me cross. Being rude about that is the very a ntithesis of a mindless activity. You won't be aware of that, because you s wallow a lot of the nonsense that I'm rude about. Since Jim Thompson fitted your idea of a "good person" your anxieties about the "good people" who ha ve left the group can't really be taken seriously.

ike a baby cutting their first tooth.

Your ideas about how people ought to act don't seem to see anything wrong w ith Jim Thompson's activities. Your judgement isn't to be relied on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

g all

st thing

ften to

a suite

at large

ey want

oys.

s and

nd some

g, and is

ng-term

at the

bag/ list.

u have a

nfo and

See below.)

g some

.
.

other right-wing lunatic to to tell just who has just e-mailed him privatel y.

ssigned job on you.

in probably comes closer to that, in tat he posts a lot of stuff and very little of it is useful.

relevant, which you can only do with your mindless attempts to put others d own.

antithesis of a mindless activity. You won't be aware of that, because you swallow a lot of the nonsense that I'm rude about. Since Jim Thompson fitt ed your idea of a "good person" your anxieties about the "good people" who have left the group can't really be taken seriously.

like a baby cutting their first tooth.

with Jim Thompson's activities. Your judgement isn't to be relied on.

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Good luck. It seems to be easier to find a path to making money when it is not so important. Uhg.

Reply to
blocher

Michael Terrell seems to think I should strive to make what I post interesting to him. I do aim to include more discerning readers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

se made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way th ey do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets h igh enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understan ding is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

hose. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with fre e shipping

on

Hmm Well.. either good support from vendor (has value to customer... I don't mind spending more at DigiK or for beer at Hogan's down the bottom of my hill, because I don't want either to go away.) or people are lazy... maybe both.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ts.

meter'

I was thinking about some cheap torque slippy thing like goes on the end of electric drills.. I took one apart a few weeks ago.. not sure the right name, torque clutch, slip?)

Some RC servo motor thing might work. It'd be cool if people could program the valve... you could set up long temperature sweeps

77-400 K. But it would have to do multiple turns... not sure how that would work.

But I'm putting this probe idea on the back burner. There are too many unknowns to get ti up and running quickly.

I've got this HBT idea (which we talked about a little) I'm going to start a new thread.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah the few, NI instruments I used I had no complaint with the quality. (just the price.) For the university/ college lab teaching market the customer base is varied, from idiots to masters... mind you any given customer can be an idiot about something and master at another. As far as instrument interfacing, I'm much more an idiot than master. (so maybe not the best thing to start a company doing that. :^)

I do get the feeling that those teaching uni labs are aware of what type of skills/ techniques are getting their graduates jobs, and trying to tailor labs for that. (My feeling is this is much more so for BS physics majors.)

I know Mr. Squid...it's been sold around to a few different vendors. I think the latest has gotten the bugs out of the 'repeated contacts to stuff at LN2 temperatures.' (Mostly I don't hear complaints about it anymore.)

But I think what you say (lotsa money, or shoe strings) is true of teaching lab funding too. Just much less money than research labs. So if I do something like this, I'd be selling to the fully funded people. And then you sell bits and pieces of your stuff to the shoe string guys, not making much, but bread on the water.

Hey Speff, I was thinking of trying to contact you via linked in... but. Send me an email... ggherold at gmail Maybe I can buy you lunch.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah, Marketing.. I haven't thought much about that. Trade shows, workshops, website, word of mouth, all work.

Sound a bit like Phil H's gig.

(for me there are just a whole bunch of ideas festering in the back of my brain... you do what you can. :^)

OK do you get a lot of repeat work? That would help.

Yeah I don't have any free lance jobs from existing contacts. (Oh dear, you remind me I once mentioned wanting to make a Cavendish balance but with a big wall (with some holes) as the fixed mass and maybe cylinder shapes for the moving masses. That would get like two or so times the torque (I did the numbers once, riff on the problem of falling through the earth) And some guy contacted me and wanted me to build him one... for 50-100k or something.)

Thanks very much for your advice/ story.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

e made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way the y do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets hi gh enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understand ing is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

ose. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with free shipping

Yeah, I've got to start a HBT thread. (The blue jay gang has invaded the bird feeder, scaring the cardinals chickadees, juncos and woodpeckery birds into the nearby trees. White snow, dark trees, the green on the spruce is the same shade as maple bark.. The blue jays and red cardinals pop, color-wise. )

George h.

on"

Reply to
George Herold

of

There's this very nice synergy of putting together parts in different ways. I bunch of the stuff I made was just one or two analog IC's (quad opamp = 1 IC) with power, connections and switches. I was alwyas using some bit for something else.

Thinking of flapping off by myself is a bit scary!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

t.

wo that we wouldn't miss, and at a better price than the used equipment dea lers or untested on Ebay. For my use, I bought mostly damaged or 'for parts ' items and repaired the best of a model. Sometimes it was a working but da maged item, and one that looked brand new but wasn't worth repairing. Like a Fluke 8920 True RMS (up to 20MHz) like it had either been used in a High Voltage circuit, or it had been hit by lightning. It did yield a nice case. ;-)

re are some nice knockoffs of Hammond diecast with a brushed finish.

e' BNC,N and other connectors with a 1" square flange.I use them to build R F modules and test fixtures. These come in several colors and lengths.

Hi Michael. Thanks! I'm not really sure where I'm going. So I don't know what I'll need yet. :^) But I do appreciate the support.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

We had a mountain lion near the Safeway on Diamond Heights Blvd. About a zillion animal control people took it away.

And lots of coyotes. Now we seem to have at least one big cat but not as big as the one in the pic, some sort of lynx maybe.

Coyotes have been seen commuting across the Golden Gate Bridge.

I wonder if it would be worth making a little cryo-diode adapter for an arduino or a Lab Jack or something. Then it would be a small step to making a cryo temperature controller.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

nese made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets high enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my underst anding is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work .

those. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with f ree shipping

eason"

Hmm there must be a lot more wilderness in California. Here there is lots of farm land.

Hmm not sure what that looks like. But have a FET as heater down the bottom of a probe is a must. I have this dram of using the same FET as temp sensor too.. but that may be too much.

Starting HBT thread.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold