My own private idaho (self employ)

They're cheap--five or ten bucks depending on size. BTW once you have a web site up, you can do pretty good SEO by adding your contact info and a few keywords to your Usenet posts--SED is widely mirrored. (See below.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"previous place of employment", cf. "CPoE". It's a SEDism AFAIK.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

PPPoE: Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill wrote in news:r0molq02t29 @drn.newsguy.com:

The "point" being that the ports are now 'fully addressable', which adds security to a system. Someone cannot simply plug in to an open port on the router if you have them all shut off and hard assigned so that only a certain MAC addy can plug in to a given port.

And they added power capacity over Ethernet too with PPoE

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Right.. I guess I learned it from KRW. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Huh thanks for the SEO tip. Re: SED mirroring. I do find it weird how many times I'm searching some electronics thing and I get sent to a few years old SED discussion. Sometimes that's good, cause it's a discussion I missed or skipped. George S. Herold unemployed instrument builder

Reply to
George Herold

Sometimes I google a subject and find my own old SED posts.

Want to do some occasional research for us? Email me.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

...and i would think get too hot for LN use, assuming they would work at such a low temperture.

Reply to
Robert Baer

s.

I don't think the control motor is immersed in liquid N2, only the gaseous stuff and then only 80%.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

s.

Sure, it'd need some thermal/ electrical insulation. Still compared to a human male at room temperature, the piece of metal has only so much force.. (which I get to design)

1% of the time the human male will go get the vice grips and break the valve. 1% x Y-times/year x 10 years... I wonder how much a torque ratchet thingie costs?

George H. (Who is as guilty as the next guy of 'grabbing the big wrench' and breaking something, rather than fixing it.)

Reply to
George Herold

Sure, but I've got satellite internet not the fastest. :^) I seem to have lost your email address. (your card was stuck to a tunnel diode on my parts shelf... but it might have been left behind, or in a banker box in the study.)

You can email me at ggherold@gmail.... com

Hey here is sorta a crazy idea I had emailing with Clifford H. How about designing/ building (as kits?) analog front and back ends for the labjack?

There's a bunch of stuff to do... from simple to sublime :^) On the simple front I imagine a thermal loops lab, different detectors, different plants, and different delays between the two. Sublime? (well first I need to find the fastest clock input... but perhaps photon counting.)

And a million things in between.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's a bad idea(*) for a startup to be completely dependent on the existence of any other single product or company. The Labjack looks like a packaged version of the plentiful AD8706 modules, with some software. Why wouldn't you just make those too, so you aren't dependent?

Search AliExpress for AD8706 and you'll see modules with parallel interface for around $40, with USB for $60-ish. That gets you 8 channels of 16-bit data at reasonable speed, which should be enough for many of the lab projects you have in mind.

(*) The problem is that as soon as you become successful at some add-on product, the company can easily duplicate your work and undercut you. That's almost instant death when you're relying on their installed base.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Jim Thompson seems to be dead, so John Larkin will have to find some other right-wing lunatic to to tell just who has just e-mailed him privately.

James Arthur might serve.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That is a generalization and like most isn't worth a damn. It can be a gre at way to start out or even as a total base. When you do that you need to be in touch with thee product and company and it is great if you can have t heir blessing.

Competing can be very difficult. I tried to compete in the DSP board level product area, but who was going to buy from a startup when there were a nu mber of stable companies selling good product, with all the backing of a go od company (support, documentation, enhancements and a customer base).

Complementing can be a great way to start out. Use the established custome r base and provide them with something they don't have. Just don't become overly dependent on a single item.

Often it's the other way around, you can undercut them! If they were going to sell cheaper than you, why would you want to go head to head with them?

It's best to identify a product that is too small a market for the bigger c ompany to exploit but a small company can do well. Then they have no profi t motive to try to compete with you.

--

  Rick C.

  +- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

A market only has room for 2 or 3 companies at the top. People will only review that many before making a buying decision, so if you're not dominant in your segment, you don't get seen - you need a smaller segment.

George isn't proposing going head-to-head. He's proposing building something they don't have - systems with a variety of useful front-ends.

Yes, correct - find a niche you can dominate. But if you widen that niche too much, you'll have trouble maintaining dominance.

I think we're mostly in agreement on these things.

CH

Reply to
Clifford Heath

.

evel product area, but who was going to buy from a startup when there were a number of stable companies selling good product, with all the backing of a good company (support, documentation, enhancements and a customer base).

.

Or cater to a niche. Find a variation that has a need and fill it. As lon g as it isn't a large enough share of the market for the other guys to both er with they won't use the resources to follow you.

oing to sell cheaper than you, why would you want to go head to head with t hem?

.

Maybe I don't understand, but it sounds like he is saying it's a bad idea t o make an addon, but to make a duplicate device is a good idea.

Think of PCs. Lots of people made them in the early days. Only a few are still making them. There are many, many add on makers of cards for desktop s and USB devices of all manner for other devices.

er company to exploit but a small company can do well. Then they have no p rofit motive to try to compete with you.

I've wanted to make some items that are small and cheap, like Chinese made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets high enou gh. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understanding is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

--

tirsdag den 28. januar 2020 kl. 00.53.22 UTC+1 skrev Rick C:

e and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets high en ough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understanding i s I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

look at things like arduinos, arduino shields, MCU boards, usb logic analysers, etc. I don't see how anyone makes any money on those. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with free ship ping for half your BOM

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

ade and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they d o. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets high enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understanding is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with free sh ipping

That's why I said "like Chinese". I mean tap into their process. Have the m build it and sell it on eBay and Aliexpress and I get my $0.10 commission or however much. But I've yet to figure out how to do that without being cut out.

Actually, it might be practical to do this if the product has some aspect t hat requires connecting to the Internet to access a server. That would all ow control and monitoring as long as the code is secure enough to not be ha cked. That can be done in an FPGA...

I need to file that away for the deluxe version of a product I've wanted to build.

--

tirsdag den 28. januar 2020 kl. 01.59.38 UTC+1 skrev Rick C:

made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets hig h enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understandi ng is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

se. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with free shipping

hem build it and sell it on eBay and Aliexpress and I get my $0.10 commissi on or however much. But I've yet to figure out how to do that without bein g cut out.

and even if you don't get cut out from your manufacturer, if there is a mar ket someone else will clone it cut few corners and sell cheaper and you are done

that requires connecting to the Internet to access a server. That would a llow control and monitoring as long as the code is secure enough to not be hacked. That can be done in an FPGA...

to build.

unless someone finds a flaw in your security scheme, or the hassle with bei ng connected or problems with the server scares away your costumers

it isn't easy

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

made and sold sort of cheap. But I can't find a way to sell they way they do. There could be lots of competition, but not until the volume gets hig h enough. I would love to contract out the whole thing, but my understandi ng is I would never see much money from it because of the way they work.

se. The minutes it gets any traction you can buy a clone on ebay with free shipping

hem build it and sell it on eBay and Aliexpress and I get my $0.10 commissi on or however much. But I've yet to figure out how to do that without bein g cut out.

that requires connecting to the Internet to access a server. That would a llow control and monitoring as long as the code is secure enough to not be hacked. That can be done in an FPGA...

to build.

You need to start reading up on public key encrytion.

It's covered in chapter 8 of Davies and Price "Security for Computer Networ ks" ISBN 0 471 90063 X published in 1984. I mainly bought the book because I'd had an interaction with the authors a few years before the book got pub lished, when they were proposing to make the Teletex protpcol explicitly ca pable of handling it. The Teletex system was supposed to offer a step up fr om Telex (and did for a few years in Sweden and Germany).

It's quite a neat system. You need a pair 1024 bit long keys these days, an d quantum computers threaten even them, but so far it seems to work.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to