broke my own circuit - 4017 decade/Johnson counter

so im building a simple light chaser circuit out of a 4017 counter and

555 timer. the 555 timer circuit works. my problem is with thr 4017.

according to several schematics ive seen...and behavior in electronics workbench/multisim, connecting the reset to output q4 causes the chip to reset when q4 fires.

real-life behavior i different. if reset is connected to anything except just ground, all it'll do is blink the first led.

any suggestions?

Reply to
DewDude

You're resetting from the wrong end of the counter.

Reply to
Ian Field

i dont see how. the counter will start with output q0....it automatically cycles back to q0 after firing q9, the reset is supposed to allow me to recycle back to q0 after firing a specific number of leds.

explain your reasoning or stfu.

Reply to
DewDude

I just looked at the PDF on that chip. It looks to me that you need to directly connect the Q4 output, if that is the one you want to use? directly to MR input.

If you have a scope, make sure you are making your minimum levels. Also, you may want to put a rail cap at Vdd. Make sure your supply rails are steady.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Ah LEDS, I bet you are loading down the line! :)

Insufficient levels.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

This isn't a gay dating newsgroup, so go away.

Michael A. Terrell

PLONK

Reply to
etpm

and put a pull-down on the MR pin - I use that same configuration (Q6 in my case) and a 10K pull-down helps remove any transient crap off the output pin that just *might* cause a reset.. YMMV

Reply to
who where

That's a spectacularly foolish way of reacting in a newsgroup where you're seeking help. Even those who are not the target of your response are likely to take the view that you can go and play in the traffic.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else