My new 24" monitor.

It wasn't that long ago that two 15" CRTs required two video cards. ;-)

Reply to
krw

My three are a 23" and a 24" side by side, and a 46" for TV and BluRay above that I can feed from any of about 7 sources. Behind my second desk display is my 100Wx7 DTS DolbyHD stereo.

Reply to
lurch

WRONG AGAIN ASSHOLE. (You deserve that whenever it is true)

Even YOURS will do it, and it will do it with an MS app. Bring up Word, and then get it to pop up a dialog box. No matter how you have your desktop set up, it will pop up the dialog box in the center of the two display spaces.

It has NOTHING to do with the hardware or the hardware drivers.

Windows pops up dialogs based on WINDOWS primitives. If that primitive is declared as the screen center, that is where it is going to pop up, regardless of which display the application window that generated the dialog box is in.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Well, at least *I* know why you cannot.

Bwuahahahaha!

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

And you would be wrong again, AlwaysWrong.

They're coming to take you away, ha, ha, ho, ho...

Reply to
krw

What brand and does it actually measure 24" across the visible diagonal ?

Wear glasses do you ?

You have the monitor incorrectly placed.

My 'new' i.e. secondhand ebay purchase is a Sony SDM-P232W. Cost me all of £166 ( was over £2000 new ). 'VGA'(HD-15) and DVI-D connectors are provided x2 for 2 sources.

" Isn't it good to know there are still designers out there who like to design products that cater for all ends of the market, and whoever designed this, must have just finished reading the 'Rich List' in the Sunday Times.

Why? Because it is so cheap. Oh...hang on... is that a pound sign? NINETEEN HUNDRED QUID- they can stick that where the sun don't shine, and no, I don't mean underground.

So, what do Sony, who are quite happy to take this money off you, willing to give you in return? Well, you get a 23inch flat screen TFT LCD. (23 inches, that?s even bigger than my........arm). I'll start with the looks. It has got a sexy looking, slim silver base. The actual screen case is in an orgasmic black, which surrounds the 23 inches of pure heaven, the flat screen. The manufacturer's name 'SONY' is clearly displayed in silver letters just above the stand/base, so you can show off how posh you are buying posh Japanese makes. There are brightness, contrast, H/V position, gamma correction, input select, colour temperature, zoom, and phase and pitch buttons on the side. They are nicely sunken into the case so that they don't stick out. They are however easy to use and feel nice to press (you just wish every woman you fancied would invite you to press her buttons to turn her on!).

Now for the actual monitor. The actual screen is 23 inches wide (that?s

56cm). It is 25cm tall as well, giving a large viewing area. It is only about 7cm thick, so it will fit on even the thinnest shelf, and look both stylish and modern. If you don't have a shelf, then you can mount it on a wall, making it look really impressive. (Please note though, the actual fixings for the wall mount is not included with the monitor, they are about another thirty to forty quid). The wall mount is easy to put up, all it requires is a spirit level, eight screws and eight wall plugs. The screen comes with a power cable and the cable to connect it to a computer (not a techno freak, so don't have a clue what it is called!). It can be used with either a PC or Apple Mac. The box boasts that this monitor can display 16.7 million colours. I think this is a lie though, I could only count 15,836,396. The liars. It has a maximum resolution of 1920 X 1200. To put it in perspective, normal computer monitors have a resolution of 1024 X 768, so you get a much better and clearer picture. The monitor is meant to have some anti glare technology that means it is easier to see. I find that as long as I keep my eyes open, I can see it fine!

To install this monitor was a piece of luxury chocolate gateaux with flakes of white chocolate (cake). Simply a case of plugging the cable into my computer and plugging it into the socket. There is a driver CD provided, however the monitor works fine without it, so I haven't installed it yet (even though I probably should!). The instruction manual was brief, yet comprehensive, with step-by-step instructions. A customer support phone number was provided (national rate cost), but I don?t know what it is like because I didn't need to phone it.

I found the picture on this screen to be of superb quality, with it being suitable for everyday office use, but even better is everyday gaming! There isn?t much more I can say about it, it has got superb picture quality, that?s it! What is good is that a three-year guarantee is included in the price, and they will even send an engineer out to you to sort it out. SONY however is a make renowned for its quality, so the chance of it needing repairing within the first three years is extremely remote. However, I would strongly recommend that after three years you take out extended cover for it, as out of guarantee repairs set you back at least £75 in labour costs minimum.

A couple of final points. Firstly, if you are going to wall mount it, get a professional to mount it up securely, so there is no chance of it falling off the wall. Secondly and MOST IMPORTANTLY is to tell your home insurance company about it, as it is very unlikely to be covered against fire and theft otherwise.

Is it worth the money? To be honest, no. A normal 19inch TFT for four hundred quid will do exactly the same job (it just might not look as good or be wall mountable), but you will then be one and a half grand better off. Your choice! " ......................................................................

Its 0.24mm pixel size still doesn't match the 0.22mm aperture grille on my Sony E530s though. They ROCK and are absolute BRUTES but consume little more power than the big LCD screen ! The last one cost me £30 plus £15 cariage !

" Yes, of course, I am talking about sitting too close to the TV. What did you think I was talking about?

As some of you will know, I am a Systems Admin for a large financial institution, and therefore sit for some pretty long periods of time in front of a Monitor. A couple of weeks ago I managed to secure a 21" Sony E530 for my desk at work, and I thought I would share my experiences with you.

Firstly, let me say one thing. This monitor is big. by 'big' I actually mean BIG. If you are used to a 15" TFT or CRT screen, moving to an E530 is like sitting in a cinema. Even compared to my previous 19" Sony E400 or my current home screen (a 19" Samsung Samtron) it seems vast. Not only is it BIG, but it is heavy too. I have seem shire horses weigh less than these. This is due to Sony having a nice thick quality tube and metal shielding all around the monitor to soak up any excess RF interference coming in that may affect the display quality. The unit comes with the standard kettle-style lead to connect to the mains, and a nice high-quality VGA connection lead. On the back of the unit there are two VGA connectors, which means you can connect up to two PCs at the same time and flick the display between the two machines using the OSD (On Screen Display).

< or the switch on the front - my comment >

The screen supports a maximum 1800x1440 at 78hz, but is probably more comfortable at 1600x1200 at 95hz, which provides shed-loads of screen real-estate and a rock-steady 95 frames per second refresh. Unfortunately, my two PCs at work are all incapable of taking advantage of these massive resolutions, as my IBM has an awful DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) meaning anything over 1280x1024 is blurry, and my old Compaq doesn't support 1600x1200 in anything higher than 256 colours. Therefore I tend to stick to 1280x1024 at 95hz which gives a crisp and delightful image quality that I can sit in front of for 15 hours (us IT workers are not the slackers you think we are!). On Screen Display consists of the usual stuff concerned with alignment of the picture, degausing and colour / brightness / contrast balancing. The options are abundant but really how many of us use them all I don't know.

< I think I've used most of them >

The Screen surface is totally flat, and due to its Trinitron tube, the display is ever-so-slightly curved on the horizontal access. To visualize this, imagine that a regular TV screen is a piece of glass cut from a sphere. It curves both on the horizontal and vertical axis creating a domed effect. The Trinitron screen, however, resembles a screen cut from the side of a cylinder, and thus curves only across. This gives a lovely sharp image, but also causes one of the only problems I have found with this monitor.

< Don't know WHAT he's talking about here. Mine is PURE FLAT >

Inside a monitor, you will find a mesh of tiny tiny wires which make up the pixels you see on the screen. to hold these in place on a Trinitron screen, Sony have to put one or more incredibly tiny wires across the length of the screen to hold the picture in place. On this 21" goliath (and indeed on the 19" E400 and E430) Sony have needed to put two of these wires across, roughly cutting the screen into thirds. The lines created by this are extremely thin, gray lines which become most apparent on a white background. This is a common feature of screens that use Trinitron tubes, and to be honest, does not detract from the usage at all. Its not somethign that would put me off this monitor, but it is something worth knowing, as I thought there was something wrong with my first Sony screen many years ago!

Overall this type of monitor is sheer decadence, but in my job, and in many others, it is an absolute god-send. At home I think it would be a bit too much for me to shell out, but if your employer is paying, I would recommend it 100%! " .......................................................................

My desk could accomodate 3. It's tempting !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Or adjust the monitor / chair height.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Real 'ergonomic' Microsoft Mice ( not the cheapies ) solve half the problem. Never met a better mouse ! Tried a trackball and didn't like it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

We purchased some Samsung 245 BW 24 inch monitors two years ago. They have full swivel, tilt, and altitude adjustments, so you can set them up to be ergonomically efficient. We picked up a Samsung 24.3 inch monitor about three weeks ago. Cheap plastic case, no screen angle adjustments, and it was broken. (big crack under one of the stick on labels). We returned it and picked up the Samsung 2443 BWT. The BWT has the same stand structure as our earlier models. Hopefully they will keep making/using the stand. After you have had the luxury of using the adjustable stand, it would be tough having to use a fix mounted monitor.

b. Farmer.

Reply to
Bit Farmer

Place the display or your seating position such that when looking directly ahead you are looking at the menu bar.

Looking up at an angle for long periods of time is unnatural and a common cause of neck, shoulder, and back problems.

I cannot understand how people can mount that huge TV on the wall 5 or 6 feet off the floor.

Reply to
Paul Conners

full swivel, tilt, and altitude adjustments, so you can

monitor about three weeks ago. Cheap plastic case, no

stick on labels). We returned it and picked up the

Hopefully they will keep making/using the stand.

having to use a fix mounted monitor.

They're okay, a bit glarey though. The cheapo ones these days lack height adjustment, and the height is usually too low (presumably so they can make the stand smaller), so people pile them on top of stuff. Ugly. Also, the cheap ones are going to the inferior 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 rather than 1920 x 1200) which knocks 10% off the number pixels in the vertical direction- just what you don't need when trying to read a full-page PDF.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

l ?

rms

have full swivel, tilt, and altitude adjustments, so you can

.3 inch monitor about three weeks ago. =A0Cheap plastic case, no

of the stick on labels). =A0We returned it and picked up the

models. =A0Hopefully they will keep making/using the stand.

tough having to use a fix mounted monitor.

if it is 1080 they must be using panels meant for TVs

if you have nvidia graphics (and probably others) you can turn the image 90 degrees to read a full page of course it only makes sense if the stand supports physically turning the screen too quite a few do.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

full swivel, tilt, and altitude adjustments, so you can

inch monitor about three weeks ago.  Cheap plastic case, no

stick on labels).  We returned it and picked up the

models.  Hopefully they will keep making/using the stand.

tough having to use a fix mounted monitor.

Hence the 1080p reference.

Only about 15% of available monitor models support the pi/2 pivot feature, and they tend not to be the most economical.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Dec 2009 20:47:55 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in : hey're okay, a bit glarey though. The cheapo ones these days lack

Use it vertical. It works even with movies: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/LED_lamp.avi

This is how I rotated the movie 90 degrees (it was made with the camera on the side): mencoder -vf rotate=1 -ovc lavc -oac copy -nosound $1 -o rotated-$1

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

it.

Trackballs have some advantages where vertical and horizontal movement = are=20 about equal, like CAD, scroll wheel mice may be better for general = purpose=20 use, clearly so for reading text, but look at Kindle for more interesting= ideas. =20 I started with trackballs in the early 1970s, loved them ever since.

Reply to
JosephKK

you can=20

After all this time i am still jonesing for 30" Apple cinema display,=20

2650 by 1650 thereabouts.
Reply to
JosephKK

I've taken to moving the "start menu" to the left edge of the screen to make up for this. :-) After having it that way for a few months, I've decided I prefer it even when I have plenty of pixels vertically.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

You couldn't have just gone with a 6" CRT and a Fresnel lens?

It was good enough for the Ministry of Information (in the movie Brazil).

--
Paul Hovnanian  paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

At what refresh rate?

They need to re-do it as an LED backlit job.

Reply to
lurch

Cool movie. The song is cool too... nice roots.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever