Multi-Line LED Music Dancer?

Hi All,

Many (15) years ago (when I was good in electronics) I designed a multi-line LED dancer connecting to my stereo system. The first part of the circuit was separating frequencies into 10 lines and giving them to

10 individual music dancers (10 LEDs). So each line of LEDs was dancing for a specific range of frequency. Any of you know of any circuit out there for doing such a thing? Is it any IC doing it in one shot (something like LM series)?

Thanks in advance,

Homer

Reply to
Homer

I first made a 4 or 5 channel color organ (35 years ago) using a converted radio tube receiver that was part of our Army RCAT (radio controlled aeriel target) system. It worked very well. it had very narrow frequencies, and you could really follow the notes well. Never saw a better one, allthough for years i had an unfinished 10 channel one in the works. Never completed. I threw away a string of #47 lamps hand colored. I was using a bandpass type filter using 1458 op-amps. There real trick is to get the right colors and positions to the lamps. I always put reds/purple on the bottom, yellow on top, everything else in the middle. I did make a couple lamp controllers for pinwheels and lamp bars for disco in the early 80's.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Those latter, just had shift registers that followed the beat, and reversed, but still moved without music.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Not sure if there's a ready made chip for this, but a small microcontroller with ADC input, and 10 digital outputs running a Goertzel algorithm should be able to do this.

Reply to
Arlet