MSc in Elctronics Circuits Design

I would say this is one of the attributes of a sane person :)

But it's particularly crucial for circuit design or software design. A crucial insight is that the machine works the way *it* is supposed to, and that may nor may not be the way *you* thought it was supposed to!

Reply to
mc

That reminds me of an exhortation from one of my mentors 'The processor will execute the code you wrote, not the comments showing what you think it will do'

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

eYup!

Moons ago we had semi-daily BS sessions in the boss' office discussing what we were doing. Lots of good ideas came out of these informal meetings because one could lay out the design for others to critique. ...not so much that others had better ideas, but that the problems and designs were presented and clarified.

One time a "new" engineer came into the group. He took offence to this "inquisition". He had a problem with noise on his analog circuit, so my first question was how he was measuring it. Then how he was decoupling the PS. Both questions were treated like I was questioning his manhood. Soon after, every square inch of free real estate on his card was covered by decoupling caps. He didn't last long.

Sure, though there are some pretty sound metrics for "good".

Sometimes there is. Design is all about meeting goals. Cost is a goal.

--
  Keith
Reply to

True enough but when the comments diverge from operation, the next guy[*] has a clue where the problem is. Lucid documentation is crucial for any design.

[*] Even if TNG is *you*.
--
  Keith
Reply to

In message , dated Sun, 30 Jul 2006, PeteS writes

Some people express their critiques in a way that can only be taken as a personal affront. Read a few here!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

--
Hi, John.

Welcome back to the swamp. ;)

Where ya been?
Reply to
John Fields

In message , dated Mon, 31 Jul 2006, John Fields writes

Lots of standards writing and foreign travel (on business).

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I am not sure I would call them reviews - rants perhaps, and sometimes (but not always) 'assisted' with exotic substances, one suspects ;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS