Mouser search engine sucks

What is really nuts, is that their catalog was always superior to the DigiKey catalog. Grouped basically by function, and then similar sub-groups. In each sub-group, alphabetical maker. Nice "cardboard" separators with printed index for that section (DigiKey never had that).

In the back. alpha part index and alpha maker.

All they need to do is emulate that simplicity. Certainly not generate 10^6 selections for a simple query, say (fiction here) for LED they would give switches,relays, resistors, capacitors, and presidential candidates.

And i called them as well as e-mailed them - to no avail.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Another good one:

JW

The reason I make an effort to use Mouser is that I live near them and I get one day service without expedited delivery service. It is almost like going to a local components store.

Reply to
John S

I am 4 days away from Digikey by ground delivery and have found USPS Priority to consistently deliver in 2 days. It's also cheaper than UPS ground! Go figure.

I don't order as often from Mouser, but I will go Priority mail for anything I order within the US unless it "Absolutely, Positively Has To

--

Rick
Reply to

UPS intentionally slowed down their ground service to not cannibalize their

2nd day users. Now that FedEx has lowered their ground service prices to match UPS, I consistently get orders about 2 days faster from either Mouser or Digi-Key. So, I now always select the FedEx delivery. I'm in St. Louis, MO, so not real close to either of them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

None of these companies made their own catalogs, as far as I know. There was some outfit that created the catalogs for ALL the distributors, customizing it enough so that they had an individual "look" for each one. But, that outfit had the photos of all the parts on a computer, and for any individual distributor to create all that back in the 1980s or 90's was just too huge a task.

The Digi-Key search engine is so good, it pretty much replaces the catalogs. But, they WERE nice, and I do miss them. I just got the Newark catalog today, 2500 pages! Yikes!

I still have the last Digi-Key catalog, and Mouser doesn't seem to be sending me updates anymore.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I wondered what happened. Some years ago UPS had a standard 1 day ground delivery area that covered some 8 or 10 states. Now it has shrunk considerably. That's ok. I like using USPS Priority mail for Digikey and Mouser. Dirt cheap and fast.

The other day I ordered something from a US vendor off eBay. They shipped it through some special USPS service that works with some other carrier. I got the same sort of tracking at every handling point I get with UPS and FedEx, but it reported a "Shipping Partner Facility" in LOMBARD, IL 60148 and FISHERS, IN 46037 but USPS delivered the final mile to the house. Do you think the "partner" was UPS? I know they do that for international shipments. The USPS has greatly improved from years ago. They used to be worse than the phone company!

--

Rick
Reply to

I miss the paper catalogs. They were often more useful than the web sites.

I complained about the search engine and got a couple of emails back. The guy actually went to the Digikey web site and discovered it was better. I suppose nobody at Mouser had ever tried that before.

I doubt they will fix it any time soon.

Den fredag den 2. oktober 2015 kl. 22.24.59 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

yep, for stuff like connectors,switches,enclosures, heatsinks etc. for the standard components not so much

I often use google images search, type a few keywords and browse through images to get an idea of what it might be called

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I like how both of those crooks (fedex and UPS) still charge fuel surcharges. They should merge with the airlines and all burn in hell.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Then we could walk everywhere, carrying stuff.

Paper catalogs are great when you're not quite sure what you want, and need to see options. I'll still find myself browsing through the McMater-C catalog to see what's available. It's an important function, the Mc-C online catalog actually does a decent job at letting you browse.

George H.

(The index of the Mc-C paper catalog is a work or art, at least I appreciate it's beauty... certainly fading in this computer database age.)

Reply to
George Herold

is

better

MOSFETs.

Mouser is convenient to me than Digikey. Digikey requires more click to get the price, I also use RS-online as a back up.

NicoleK

What's a mouse-click worth to you? I find DigiKey to be much cheaper for most components (connectors seem to be an exception). DigiKey also carries a broader inventory so I make fewer multiple-supplier orders.

Reply to
krw