Motor Controller Stepper/Servo with Feed Back

Hi All, I am not a Motor Expert but do understand some aspect of it on the base level I guess. I have been trying to put together a project for some time but failing because of one thing or another. Purpose is to run a motor at sub arc minute rotation per second about

2000X of the original speed. Acceleration and Deceleration option and all controlled by Serial/USB port. I have seen many setups that solely rely on Parallel port and to me it's 20th century. I would like to have microcontroller that takes commands from the port executes it with a feedback loop and responds back / keeps track of the status to be read by the command issuing PC. To be very brief, this project if to turn a Telescope. Yes there are solutions available at some cost which right now is out of my reach. Also some of them are good but old school. First hurdle is Stepper / Servo Second if Stepper is it Bi-Polar / Uni-polar If Servo, will it be controlled / rely on RWM? All motors may need some speed step down gear mechanism. Third, feedback mechanism: Encoders, looking for an effective but small reader Forth, USB command executer any PIC that will control the whole sequence of operation. Last but important is the cost. If it exceeds any commercial kit I will save money and buy if I please.

Any suggestions, Please!

Reply to
Ansu