MOSFET transient dissipation

I only looked at two curves most similar to the intended application and saw what i expected. No more than 10x steady state current with an exponential transient that decays to 95% (3 TC) within 10 ms.

Reply to
JosephKK

Both of those increase dissipation in the transistor.

Reply to
JosephKK

At some added complexity you could preheat the next lamp, but this would be counterproductive on the conversion to LED.

Reply to
JosephKK

They can be commutated, but it is complex, parts intensive, and strange. I have worked with systems that did it, but never designed such myself.

Reply to
JosephKK

Hello Joseph,

Maybe you can exchange the details with Pimpom. With this numbers, he can use the mosfet without any heat sink and other additional circuits (as I used 100ms for decay to 60% of peak value). With 10ms to 5%, he we be far within the SOA boundary.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

without abc, PM will reach me.

Reply to
Wimpie

No.

Wanna try again?  Or maybe post it here, but disguised?

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Of course they do, but they limit the surge. ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

OK. Here's an address I haven't used in years. I was surprised to see that it hasn't expired. pimpom(at)37delete-all-letters-and-leave-just-the-figures(dot)com - now let a bot harvest /that/ address. :-)

Reply to
pimpom