MOSFET SOA

Have manufacturers eliminated DC SOA? Even from old devices? Can the old curves still be trusted, or are all new production actually broken?

Example: compare IRF830, ST's '99 datasheet versus current Vishay docs.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

What you mean about SOA? Safe Operating Area? In pdf it's same.

I'm expect that any IRF830 can be replaced to any IRF830.

Reply to
Artem

Those are essentially the same datasheet (Vishay bought IR), and don't include DC SOA. I suggested ST, give this a try:

The datasheets wouldn't seem to agree, which is disturbing.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Reverse Transfer Capacitance Reverse Transfer Capacitance 10pF Reverse Transfer Capacitance 68pF

Say hello to Miller effect.

Reply to
Artem

Not necessarily. Manufacturer's change and processes change, which makes the parts change.

It's not MOSFETs, but the place I worked at before going independent had a board with an MC1496 or 1596 that would stop working about once or twice a year because the process had changed making for differences in the DC bias and/or gains (I can't remember which -- I think it was the bias).

That board kept a manufacturing guy and a circuit designer partially funded until they were able to retire it with a DSP board done that I helped out on.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services