MORON (prolly me)

This article has a whole bunch of stuff to play with. I tried to find a script to do this, but haven't figured out the best keyword yet.

The closest thing so far in Kellys Korner, is the one that bumps up the bags to 8000. It also resets a couple of things.

******** bags8000.reg ********* Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU] [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags] [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell] "BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam] "BagMRU Size"=dword:00001f40 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000 ******** bags8000.reg *********

Right-click the file in File Explorer, and select Merge at the top of the context menu.

At a guess, the first and second lines delete the current contents of the Bags. After it's applied, you can try "Apply to all folders" again while in the File Explorer thing.

My BagMRU Size is set to 5000, but I'm not an organized-folder guy either. I use filename_tagging to find stuff.

There is a limit to the size you can use for BagMRU Size, so don't set it to a million or something. MRU normally means Most Recently Used, so when the Bags fill up, the oldest folder setting is tossed and a new folder uses the slot. It's something like that.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

I now find it impossible to get permanent details view, with or without variable file type column. Change any folder to details view, close that and try another, do anything to its view (or not), switch back...... ALWAYS get icon view!

How do i fix this utter, total garbage (XP)?

I WANT _all_ folders to be in Details mode, unconditionally. And NOT change unless i do so on a given folder.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That sounds very goofy. Have you tried the basics like rebooting? It seems like you have gotten the machine in some mode where it won't save your settings.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Go Linux. You won't go back.

Cursitor Doom

you don't mention whether or not you've done edit, preferences and set all folders to open as you wish.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

there was an options dialog back in win95 orso, which specified if the folder settings were global or per-folder. try to find it.

Reply to
Johann Klammer

Put the "stuff" between the two title bars into a file.

The name of the file doesn't matter, but Kelly initially named it "bags8000.reg".

It's just a convenient way to make the changes.

Open your file manager window so you can see the "bags8000.reg" text file you just made. The .reg extension on the file, causes the right-click context menu to have the word "Merge" at the top of the list. Naming the file "bags8000.txt" will not do! Change the extension to .reg as shown.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

  • STUPID instructions.
** QUOTE ** Windows XP
  1. Delete the following registry subkeys: o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
  2. Re-create the following registry subkeys: o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell o HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam
  3. Create and then set the BagMRU Size registry value to 5000 in the registry subkeys that you created in Step 2.
** END QUOTE ** Why? Delete the Shell item, and ALL sub-items are then gone including Bags and BagsMRU. Delete the ShellNoRoam, and ALL sub-items are then gone including BagMRU and Bags. Naturally, they fail to tell you to enter the DWORD sdrwkcab.

So..the re-create will only have the 2 items and zilch subkeys. Maybe step 3 is the saving grace. Maybe NOT, as there was no such key..only as a subkey for BOTH Shell and ShellNoRoam, both of which i carefully re-constructed as was.

Therefore, will see results live.. !!NOPE!! Totally useless waste of time.

Will exit, fur all ruffled to look at second option below.

  • Do not see how stupid bag size can possibly change folder ATTTRIBUTES; in fact i do not see anything in the bags bushwah that would change folder ATTTRIBUTES. But; like i said, will exit, fur all ruffled to look at thissecond option below.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Tell me about it; gets rid of that baggage (pun intended) at the cost of a totally foreign country with its own pile of crap.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Wish i still had an installable version to peruse...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Does line-power reset count?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Been there, done that...useless.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • WinXP problem with that URL; must use Win7..
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • 503 Service Unavailable No server is available to handle this request.
Reply to
Robert Baer

  • then i tried adding above sub key, to no avail.
  • "File Explorer"? where do i find that? Windows Explorer does not have a "Merge" option,so i need a little help here.. Thanks
Reply to
Robert Baer

File-Close, saves the view. Clicking on the X discards it.

Martin Riddle

I see you're not familiar with linux.

Reply to
tabbypurr

NOPE! Like I said, NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING changes what i see, quote: >> I now find it impossible to get permanent details view, with or >> without variable file type column. >> Change any folder to details view, close that and try another, do >> anything to its view (or not), switch back...... >> ALWAYS get icon view! endquote.

Also, i am fairly certain that the bags stuff is utter bullshit, in that there are absolutely NO file names, NO directory names, NO drive names, period. Wasted hours looking.

Thanks for the (repeated) idea, it does not hurt (much) to try again and fail.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There are some names in there.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

with or

other, do

lly. And NOT

ee,

view, with or

try another, do

, in

again

Hi Robert,

I'm no XP expert, however my virtual XP running on my Mac OS X I have the details set as default for all folders.

I do this by opening any folder, setting that folder the way I want it using the last icon that shows a stylized folder - then go to "Tools" pull down menu for that folder. Select "Folder Options", then switch to the "View" tab. Now simply select the button "Apply to All Folders" and that should set all your folders to the same 'Details' as the current folder is set.

Hope this helps!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson