more curved icicles

Likely more to it than that, and you just do not know it.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Sort of. There was a lip formed by the snow before it moved down which allows any droplets to curve inward. As they do this, if they re-freeze(being colder because of the warmer roof) they extend the lip inward. This happens repeatedly.

The reason why you do not get a solid lip formed is because initially there will be areas that form that are built up more than others(either due to the non-uniform temperature of the root or crevices being cut away from the droplets or whatever).

As the droplets form they gain momentum which carries them around(which I think is what you meant). But because of the crevices and surface tension they form the long spikes.

One could artificially do this by creating a some sort of curve like

which gives a path for the droplets to follow. With enough momentum and time(to initially ice over the curve to reduce friction) one could create all sorts of odd phenomena. Using a circuit one could have the droplets come right back to themselves(or almost). One could then remove the artificial support if they wanted.

Anyone got a large storage freezer to try this? ;)

Reply to
George Jefferson

Explain it to us.

John

Wow!

An OT thread that's drifted on topic!

Enjoy your break.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Interesting. Is your cabin unique in direction, shading, or anything obvious like that? Maybe your insulation isn't quite right or your roof isn't ventilated well enough? It might be worth an investigation.

It would make sense that the icicles would form as the glacier slides. Neither will tend to happen at -40F. ;-)

Sure. But sometimes nature is speaking to you. Check your attic.

Reply to
krw

Icicles? We get bigguns here in Iowa, almost as big as in Minnesnowta.

Rarely see snow pack curling off roofs.

It tends to either be too cold or or melts rapidly.

But this last winter there were a lot of days that were in the middle where icicles get more interesting.

My favorite was one icicle where the top was one round trunk but 5 "fingers" at the bottom resembling a hand.

's_principle

River meanders and Ox bow lakes

Pless play More animation on River meanders and Ox bow lakes

Photo of scars left behind by meanders

Greegor

Don't have one. It's a pitched metal roof, knotty pine on the inside, presumably foam insulation between. The ceiling doesn't feel any colder than any other part of the house. I'm guessing the sun does it.

Structures here, at 6400 feet, have to be designed for 400 pounds per square foot snow loading. It's snowing like crazy at this instant.

John

There's no air space between the decking and the insulation? I suppose that works for a metal roof.

I remember you mentioning that. That's a *lot* of weight on a house sized structure!

Reply to
krw

What is really neat is a fireman training prop called a Christmas Tree. After creating a large Dante Inferno's propane fireball, there often will be sharp ICICLES on the prop!

Depends on temperature, humidity, pressure, and time of use.

Unlike regular icicles, these are super jagged and sharp. Sometimes a foot or more long.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster