Moore's Law

When I watch our 52" TV (from 6'), it's a step down from my 24" monitor (at 2').

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I think the only market for anything that big will be in the US. I have hea rd from Europeans and mainly, they don't have the room.

The next real advancement I think will be 3D. I mean real 3D with no glasse s. I watched a demo of a new thing they were selling to architects to displ ay a full 3D model without them having to build it. Remember those things a t coin shops where the coin in inside the cabinet but they have this mirror that makes it appear to float in the air ? Well that thing must use some s ort of similar principle. Somehow the LCD cells have to control reflectivit y through a bunch of layers. Bottom line, it can be done but they did not m ention the price. I would guess it is one of those things that if you have to ask you can't afford it.

Some people will never like LCDs, those are the type who buy plasma TVs, wh ich will probably soon be obsolete. I think the people who like them like t hem because they are actually watching phosphors. I doubt they'll ever get to 4K resolution in a plasma, if they did, it would probably cost more than the house it is in.

The diminishing returns also applies to people. I remember them selling tho se super tweeters that went up to 50 KHz. Why, to annoy the dog ?

I think that part of this really good TV picture thing, if you are far enou gh away, is due to them getting the colorimetry and gamma right. Seems they 're pretty much done with flesh correction since NTSC is a thing of the pas t. Now it can bealot more accurate. In fact people used to call NTSC "Never The Same Color". They fixed that in PAL, and upped the resolution some. So we invented it here, but it was not the best system. I was told the only w orse system was the one in Russia during the Soviet days. I also hear their CRTs sucked, worse than a 1990s Zenith.

But my speed with TV is my little 10" Panasonic. Never watch it though, it is not even plugged i, let alone to a box or source. Well yeah, a old VHS c amcorder. I don't use that anymore because there is almost nothing on which to play the tapes.

Reply to
jurb6006

I have no use for 3D. I doubt that the glasses have anything to do with it. I don't like the effect.

I much prefer plasmas, though modern LCDs are getting incredibly close. The issue is dynamic range (how black is the black?). It's the main difference in picture between $1.5K TVs and $3K TVs (65", sort of size), IMO.

Yes, plasma TVs are all but obsolete. LCD manufacturing costs have cut them off at the knees. The only plasmas left are "professional" or "commercial" TVs. The 42" plasma TV in our family room will soon be replaced with a 65" LCD but I missed last year's sell off.

We're a long way from that in TVs. There's probably a few more decades of improvements left.

Huh?

Then you should have no opinion in such matters.

Reply to
krw

Not many have the room in the US either. Most walls have doors and windows unless interior. Even then it can be hard to find six foot of uninterrupted wall space in a good location unless the house is fairly large.

--

Rick
Reply to

ough away, is due to them getting the colorimetry and gamma right. Seems th ey're pretty much done with flesh correction since NTSC is a thing of the p ast. Now it can bealot more accurate. In fact people used to call NTSC "Nev er The Same Color". They fixed that in PAL, and upped the resolution some.

PAL sort-of fixed it. By shifting the hue in the other direction every othe r line, it cancelled out much of the time. But not when the colours got any where close to saturated.

ly worse system was the one in Russia during the Soviet days. I also hear t heir CRTs sucked, worse than a 1990s Zenith.

Criticising Russian goods is fashionable, but mostly bs. It means nothing. Just don't buy the chocolates.

Some African countries had worse systems. They just stayed with old black & white only standards long after the world had gone colour.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Oh, they are indeed. But the 80 inch is just more impressive because there's no perceptible effect from the increased pixel size. So it moves the bang factor up for the larger screen.

Yeah, prices are still up and down. It's in the early adopter arc.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Sigmoid

Reply to
Richard Henry

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:42:54 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry Gave us:

Mandelbrot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think the 4K prices have bottomed, more or less. I wanted to grab a model-year-end closeout. Didn't happen and, of course, they aren't discounting the new models as much (~$1K more).

Reply to
krw