A $3.2 billion* thermostat....

Something is not right. Obviously a thermostat cannot cost a tiny fraction of that, nor do they have a market share worth anything like it.

Not that I have much hope we will ever know what is going on, that is.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

dp

This thermostat have a internet connection!

Reply to
Artem

Yeah, that makes it $3.2B worth indeed, ROFL. I am sure even only in this group I am by far not the only person having a company which can at least match that product at 0.1% of that cost and feel happy it got the chance to do it.

Dimiter

------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI

dp

No need to be a company. Atmel provide AVR32 with ready to use FreeRTOS, LwIP, and simple web server.

Reply to
Artem

They're $250 apiece, and have a heart like an iPod, so not _really_ cheap to make.

Nest's current revenue is estimated at $300m/pa.

Consider Apple's revenue of 156bn and their market cap of 500bn.

By that ratio, Nest should be worth about 1bn, but they're just getting rolling (lots of market share to go), so 3.2bn may not be

Things'.

I'm just upset that Google has just installed another spy, and this one is screwed to the wall in my dining room. Who knows what kind of evil 'updates' they'll push onto it? Okay, I'm also upset that I didn't do it-- it's kind of obvious, including the inevitable lawsuits from Honeywell et al, and it was obvious, to me anyway, 5 years ago.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yes, and you can buy an MP3 player for $20, but Apple has most of the market at 10x-20x that, and most of their customers re pretty happy about the value proposition.

I'd rather be at the top of the food chain with a high quality product at $250 than try to slug it out with crappy knock-offs at $25-$100.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

This one? Smoke detector?

Yes! Every times when you will try to burn your home, goole will know it!

Reply to
Artem

The idea of remotely controlling home appliances has been around for well over 20 years; it is a "yawn" application with a "yawn" market. Maybe it is time to sell short Google, and rake in part of that money.

Reply to
Robert Baer

The smoke detector is a new product. Not so exciting, IMHO. The "round" display is a really cute effect on the thermostat.

It knows when you're sleeping, it knows when you're awake. It may know what rooms you're in, whether you're home or not. There are motion and proximity and light sensors. No camera or microphone, AFAIK, yet, but more data fused with all the rest of the stuff they have.. without even getting into Chromecast and such like.

I see I'm not alone in this thinking:-

And they're collecting DNA using the 23 and me?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It's will be easy to cheat the device if you shall kill someone and need alibi. Joke. :)

Reply to
Artem

Maybe a 'smart' thermostat could effect senilicide.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Did you mean freeze to death? It could be effect as nuclear weapon! Just imagine that hackers hack 'smart' thermostats in USA and freeze to death all in USA! :) :) :)

Reply to
Artem

It knows if you've been good or bad, so be good, for goodness' sake.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Thanks for the links Spehro, (the original didn't work for me.)

Re the round foot print. Several years ago our micro processor thermostat failed. (on some cold winter night of course.) There was an old mercury s witch on bimetalic strip thermostat in the garage. Same round foot print. I installed it and it's been there ever since. I'm such a luddite.

George H.

!
0140114,0,4312762.story
"

com

com

Reply to
George Herold

t failed. (on some cold winter night of course.) There was an old mercury switch on bimetalic strip thermostat in the garage. Same round foot print . I installed it and it's been there ever since. I'm such a luddite.

Just remembered that I also need a thermostat. Could anyone suggest thermos tat that can work with three-phase heater (each phase 1.5kW)? I can not fin d thermostat with PID and three phase thyristor controller.

Reply to
Artem

If they start making net-connected sex toys, it'll know when you've been bad or good, for goodness sake!

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

No, no, Google want a FOOTHOLD inside your house! The whole thing is about owning some chunk of the market of installed devices, appliances, etc. in the home. Thermostats, refrigerators, water heaters, laundry machines, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Except that smart house nonsense has been around for years. X10, etc. The problem is the appliances last longer than the computer standards. It is like any you bought with WEP encrypted WIFI. You have to junk it since WEP got pwned .

Then the other problem is the Nest is really old technology. Not in terms of being internet connected, but in terms of being a freakin; thermostat. Modern HVAC is very sophisticated these days. Fans are variable speed. Furnaces and AC have multiple level of output. The Nest is really only good for a 15 year or older furnace. So you need to get the manufacturers to license Nest, and why should they? The interface is simple enough.

Remember, you don't need an app for everything. You put apache in your box and use a web page for interface. Think of your router set up. They put Apache or something similar in the box.

Reply to
miso
[snip]

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Open the pod bay door, Hal." "I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't do that."

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs