molex crimping tool, pt 2

Hello, I asked a few days ago (or was it weeks, looks like drinking is not good for your sense of time) I asked for a cheap manual crimping hand tool for Molex KK connectors. Someone pointed me to a kit with a universal hand tool with a bunch of connectors. Just wanted to say the tool is a piece of crap. It does NOT crimp AWG30 wire AT ALL. The KK connector turns over in the die and makes a shit crimp. Actually, the 30AWG wire just sort of floats between the two badly crimped pieces of metal on either side.... I'm not slamming you for making the suggestion, it was cool, but how come these tools suck so much ass through a straw?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That was me. If you check the posting, though, I did include a caveat that the included tool "wasn't that great." Maybe I should have been more descriptive.

The only 30s I've done recently (fanned-out ribbon cable) was to 2mm PH connectors. I used the AMP Service Tool 1. Downside being that it's not ratcheting and needs a separate "pass" for the insulation and wire zones. Upside is that with proper TLC it'll crimp everything from heavy duty Scothlok flag terminals down to the little things that the PHs use. I much prefer to use a ratcheting crimper but the PH connectors were just too narrow for the generic YAC4 I have.

As to why the tool in the KK kit still sucks? BTSOOM. As I mentioned in the other thread, I've had the kit for years. Few of the original housings are left; I've kept it as a handy box to store the parts and connectors. Molex surely knows that the tool is, er, a piece of crap for smaller gauge wires. So why not at least label the tool properly, as only good down to 24 or 26 or whatever?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Perhaps the problem is with the wire, and not the connector or crimping tool.

Terminations are only suited/designed for a range of wire and isulation diameters.

RL

Reply to
legg

This is the tool I use:

It works very well on Molex KK terminals.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Any source here in the US; the shipping is outrageous.

Reply to
Robert Baer

There probably is, but I don't know of one. I think it's made in Taiwan and imported by Rapid.

Leon

Reply to
Leon