Anyone know of a good cheap relay for 120VAC needing low coil power

I'm trying to use my little AVR to control up to 12 120VAC loads, up to 5 amps.  Does anyone know of a cheap (< $5 US) relay (SPST-NO) that only needs 40 mA or less to activate?  My Tyco T77 relays need 90 mA at 5VDC to pull in the contacts, it turns out, so the processor dies. The lowest I've found on-line is 60 mA. I don't have a harsh environment, or rapid switching requirements, just need a simple on-off relay.  I'm switching banks of lights, should look cool if I can get it to work.  Thanks for any advice.

Mike Ross

Reply to
mike_l_rossREMOVE

a solid-state relay.

For switching lights an optocoupled triac is probably the way to go (cheeper than SSR), look at the MOC3010 data sheet.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Don't forget to derate the current rating for lamp loads.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear