Modding an AM BCB radio for VLF reception

Just

--snip--

Ben,

Thanks for joining in.

Hm. Yes, I have a 2MHz signal generator around here somewhere I could use with a SS VOM.

Thanks. That's the one Dale pointed me at, and I think it's the best way to get started with VLF. Once I've wandered around the "terrain" a bit I'll have a much better idea of what I'll want to do next.

Frank

-- "...each new generation born is in effect an invasion of civilization by little barbarians, who must be civilized before it is too late." -- Thomas Sowell

-- Frank McKenney, McKenney Associates Richmond, Virginia / (804) 320-4887 Munged E-mail: frank uscore mckenney ayut mined spring dawt cahm (y'all)

Reply to
Frnak McKenney

Actually for inductors made that way maybe an N220 or N330 capacitor would be more appropriate.

Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Thu, 01 Jan 2009 20:11:12 -0800) it happened JosephKK wrote in :

Copper coil resistance will drift over temp, changing Q, Not sure about the effect of temperature on the ferrite, is that what you are referring to?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In particular i was referring to coils wound on forms, often with "tuning slugs", that have typical inductance tempco of + 220 ppm or +

330 ppm. A lot of old stuff from the tube days is like that.
Reply to
JosephKK

On a sunny day (Sat, 03 Jan 2009 11:37:14 -0800) it happened JosephKK wrote in :

Yes, I noticed that temp coefficient when looking up ring core ferrites :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje