Mineral Oil as thermal grease

A lot has been written about the requirement for thermal paste between the cpu and the heat sink. Many different materials have been tried, including the following and their temperature rise:

Butter 53.2C Moisturizing cream 54C Hair wax 56C Toothpaste1C Banana 58C Paper 67.2C Yellow cheese 67.9C

I focus on the ability of the material to provide a liquid interface between the cpu and the heat sink. Even the regular thermal paste dries out and must be replaced.

If a liquid is needed, why not use ordinary mineral oil? It's probably better than butter, it doesn't dry out, and capilliary action will cause it to form a uniform film between the cpu and the heat sink.

Any thoughts?

Here is an article describing more. Notice the first sentence includes an oily interface material. Mineral oil, perhaps.

Thermal paste, or some oily thermal interface material, is necessary because it fills in the microscopic imperfections that otherwise trap air particles between the CPU and the heatsink, preventing the CPU from properly cooling. Heat radiates outward from the CPU to the heatsink, before eventually making its way to a fan where it disperses; but, since air is a notoriously poor conductor of heat, an outside element is needed to bridge the gap between the two components.

Very often, assemblers and computer repairers do not have thermal paste available. It is a fundamental component because it helps cooling the CPU temperature down, lowering the thermal resistance between the microprocessor and the heat sink.

Typically, PC-grade thermal paste supplies the necessary bridge, but most oily household substances could temporarily suffice. A quick Internet research reveals that many users have already taken it upon themselves to test out a variety of substances for use, including vegemite, Nutella, toothpaste, and American cheese.

Jorgen Elton Nilsen, of the Norwegian tech site Tek.No, tested all

industry-grade heater for analyzing the cooling capacity of air and water cooling systems. Devices like Innovatek are better suited for this task, as it's difficult to standardize the heat output of a CPU solely through software. One can't simply activate the maximum heat output by running a 3D-rendering demo because of the inherent bias:

there's no way to determine how much of the CPU's specified maximum power rating is used up by the software.

spreader and an Asus Triton 77 heatsink mounted on top of the CPU and proceeded to test toothpaste, yellow cheese, hair wax, moisturizing cream, butter, banana, and paper at intervals of 15 minutes under a 90-watt load.

The results will surprise you. In order from the most thermally conductive to the least:

Butter 53.2C Moisturizing cream 54C Hair wax 56C Toothpaste1C Banana 58C Paper 67.2C Yellow cheese 67.9C

Taken at face value, it appears that the butter and the moisturizing cream are the best short-term solutions, but truthfully, both liquefied before the allotted 15-minute time frame came to a close.

Considering that a motherboard sits beneath a CPU inside a computer, the liquefied oil runs the risk of spilling over onto underlying electronics.

The best solutions turned out to be hair wax and toothpaste, which exhibited a relatively low temperature without completely drying out and cracking.

If you're impatient or under a tight deadline and need to squeeze in a few hours of extra work, consider toothpaste or hair wax when nothing else is available. When the time comes to replace it with actual thermal paste, use a sharp edge to remove the dried-up compound before applying a small amount of isopropyl alcohol to a microfiber cloth and gently scrub off any excess particles. Suffice it to say, computer-grade thermal paste eventually dries up as well, needing to be periodically cleaned off and reapplied.

thermal-paste/

Also see

thermal-paste/

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Missing digit? 54C sound more reasonable.

Reply to
Edward Lee

I meant 51C.

Reply to
Edward Lee

I did use some motor oil for my CPU, while waiting for the mail order grease.

Reply to
Edward Lee

I believe you list the temperatures as the temperature of the CPU, in other words, the total temperature rise from ambient rather than the temperature across the CPU heat sink interface, right?

While this data may have some comparative value it would be best if provide d in comparison to using a reasonable quality heat sink grease installed pr operly. This would allow an estimate of the actual thermal resistance or a better comparison to a properly installed heat sink.

All the other tests were presented in a temperature ranked order. If Tooth

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I expect that to work pretty well. The only downside would be that it would flow out more easily than grease. Otherwise they are the same thing and the oil would do a better job of being as thin a layer as possible.

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

One reason: some printed circuit material is not oil-tolerant (it swells the epoxy type, but porcelain-on-steel is fine with oil). Silicone oil (and there are very-high-viscosity variants) is typically in the high-temperature thermal pastes.

Reply to
whit3rd

I don't think silicone grease dries out.

If the surfaces are properly flat, any oily thing, like vaseline maybe, will do. The important thing is to keep the interface flat, and not space the metal surfaces apart. Cheese and banana and paper won't flow and squash down to microinch gaps.

If fill particles increase the gap much, they are harmful.

Air bubbles are bad too.

==============

** Nonsense.
** Silicone lubricating grease migrates rapidly from between semiconductors and their heatsinks that get unusually hot - say 100C or more.

Once widely used to improve heat transfer, it is now never seen having been replaced by mixtures containing thermally conducting fillers - ZnO and the like.

One locally produced power amplifier ( Jands SR3000 ) had 24 x TO3 devices mounted on 4 live heatsinks with no insulators to improve cooling - but by error used regular bearing grease instead of thermal compound.

After a year or so of service, output stages began failing due to the fact there was NO grease under the TO3s. It had spread itself all over the rest of the heatsink instead.

Knowing the designer, I rang and informed him. His instant reaction was "bullshit !! - we use proper thermal grease".

An hour later I got a call back with apology, it was indeed bearing grease and a whole batch of amps had to be disassembled an re-done with the good stuff.

Fact: the same company's in house service department KNEW about the issue, obtained real thermal grease for their work and did NOT tell others.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Grease doesn't dry, that means loses water which grease doesn't have in the first place. But it does ooze out gradually which has the same effect.

Yup, anything that spaces the heat sink from contact with the CPU adds ther mal resistance, but by how much? If adding particles of highly heat conduc tive material increases the overall conductivity, even if it widens the gap slightly it will still improve the net conduction.

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

I bought some of this: Arctic MX4

last year and was happy with the results. The manufacturers seem very coy about the filler which they describe as "carbon microparticles" which are not electrically conducting. The safety data sheet shows that it is filled with a mixture of diamond and alumina. Why don't they just say so?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Soot?

I've used diamond-particle filled silicone grease. It's not better than the usual Dow stuff. The particles added more spacing than their thermal conductivity (or price!) justified.

The usual Dow 340 filled grease, when modest pressure is applied, oozes down to below 100 microinch gap, which was my measurement resolution.

If you need electrical insulation, aluminum nitride + Dow is great.

Oh, DARN it! I thought you had found the holy grail of thermal conductors!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

you can also get indium sheets,

or use liquid metal like gallium, it melts at ~30'C but it eats aluminium so you need a copper spreader

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

===================

** Huh ? Since when is that non conducting ??

Anecdote:

Once had to service a tube amp "Marshall" for crackling noises. The thing looked almost new, inside and out. None of the tubes were making the noises, but there were signs of leakage here and there.

On a hunch, I lifted the PCB and found the whole underside covered in clumps of soot.

WTF ???

Found out later the amp had been stored in garage while there had been a fire covering everything in soot. The owner later had spent hours cleaning his Marshall, inside and out to get rid of it but forgot about the UNDERSIDE of the PCB.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

oil-based paint, and contact adhesive (aka rubber cement) both dry without losing any water.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

Sorry, if you don't have the basic supplies or tools for computer repair, you're not an assembler let alone a repair tech.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Both will form thermally insulating layers.

The paint would be OK if it's still wet and flowing when the surfaces are clamped. I guess the interior bits would dry eventually. Sounds messy.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

You claim to be regular without displaying any evidence thereof.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

i lost my access to said thermal compounds when moving my residence. i went to the local compute repair shop and ask if he could put a dollop of heat sink compound on a bit of plastic and charge me whatever he thought was fair. He shot back with "that wont pay my rent", which is true, but it would have gone a long way to buying his lunch. So I went to the pharmacist next door to his shop and bought a tube a zinc cream. That works even better than the proper stuff.

Reply to
david eather