Microscopic Combustion Engine

Runs on 50kHz AC and (burns?) water. About 100uM.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

High frequency steam engine?

Martin Riddle

Kinda cute. I wonder how it would compare to more recent-traditional MEMS motors for these sorts of micropower applications?

Reply to
David Platt

It may be that the hydrogen and oxygen bubbles never actually form, and wha t the researchers were interpreting as volume changes due to the formation of micro-bubbles (which they couldn't see) was actually a change in the str ucture of the water close up against the electrodes as negative ions piled up close to the positive electrodes and positive ions piled up close to the negative electrodes.

The structure of water close up against an electrode is complicated - the t ext-books talk about the "electrical double layer"

and if the structure is altered, the molecular packing and this the density could change.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

hat the researchers were interpreting as volume changes due to the formatio n of micro-bubbles (which they couldn't see) was actually a change in the s tructure of the water close up against the electrodes as negative ions pile d up close to the positive electrodes and positive ions piled up close to t he negative electrodes.

text-books talk about the "electrical double layer"

ty could change.

Yes, I agree with you that the H2 and O2 mechanism seems unbelievable.. But I'm not convinced about a structural change in liquid water, frankly. I don't think there would be enough volume change... I don't understand how they are ruling out simple steam generation.

The evaporation of the steam would absorb heat of vap, and its rapid condensation recycle the energy. The egress of heat is rapid for small size s and might explain the rapid. Looks like MIT may have discovered the steam engine.

? willing 2 B Rong. j

Reply to
haiticare2011

It doesn't seem any more like an 'engine' than a piezoelectric crystal does.

--
John
Reply to

hat the researchers were interpreting as volume changes due to the formatio n of micro-bubbles (which they couldn't see) was actually a change in the s tructure of the water close up against the electrodes as negative ions pile d up close to the positive electrodes and positive ions piled up close to t he negative electrodes.

text-books talk about the "electrical double layer"

ty could change.

There's a link to the paper, I only skimmed it. It looks like they've seen combustion before. And poin t to the fast decay of the pressure.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold