micro-chip

Can you give names?

I compared datasheet values for the Philips PH7030L, that we use in decent numbers, against recent parts with similar specs and SOA of the new parts was much smaller.

--------- Tel. 06151 1623569 ------- Fax. 06151 1623305 ---------
Reply to
Uwe Bonnes

This (17 KW NMR gradient amplifier)

used IXTH11P50 and IRFPS37N50A. They were the survivors of our testing.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Proper assembly of those would require bolting down all those devices AND the PCB assembly BEFORE hand soldering each lead on each of those thermal mounted packeges to insure perfect coplanarity.

I know because we had a similar design and bolting on the heat sink and it eements afterward is a guarantee that you are going to smoke one or more of them.

Reply to
DLUNU

that or shape the leads so they can move a bit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:d4df6b83-cd10-4dc2-8653-aeacc7fd8d83 @googlegroups.com:

One canot "shape the leads" These devices are dependent on thermal conductivity to abate heat.

Bending copper die leads causes microfractures in the copper, as well as the packaging epoxy.

There should be no lead forming operations whatsoever with these types of devices.

Copper work hardens. And NO, not a single one is made to be able "to move a bit". These are SMT devices too. All the more reason to leave the leads the f*ck alone. We had long leaded thru hole units and we had to place bead inductors on one lead of each to enhance operation. They are a SLIGHT bit more mutable, but take care not to stress the copper where it enters the device body.

That has to be one of the more stupid 'solutions' I have ever seen made.

Reply to
DLUNU

I deleted it after posting - at least according go goole - because my reply didn't go into nearly enough detail and as you point out is not suitable for sm stuff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I connect them both to a grounded DC voltage source, 60 volts to force the die temp to 60C for example. One or both of them actually output current, an amp per watt or something, so you can't float them or they go to megavolts and the die temp gets crazy.

The voltage and current of these pins are referenced to Spice ground. That completely screws up the alt/click thing that measures power dissipation, so you see negative kilowatts and silly stuff. I build my own power dissipation calculator off to the side.