ive

al

the

arly

age

fically a

cut

rporate

The 1/4 diameter reflective probe refers to a 100 turn air core coil whose field is modified by the presence of metal near it. This is the standard 'effect' for a probe used as the sensor for a non-destructive instrument. This [my design] probe/instrument is capable of displaying the four thin layers of a Boeing 737 fuselage lapjoint showing corrosion, gaps, cracks flaws. AND can also 'see' down through 1 inch of solid aluminum to view cracks forming around rivets in deep structures. The rsolution actually shows 'splaying' between two 1/2 inch slabs of aluminum going from 0.1 mil to more than 2 mils separation - where the rivet cannot apply pressure. The color images display the separation best, as the color of the bap changes.

I used to design Autopilots, now that requires reliability.

Right idea. take advantage of the fact that a fence is BIG! But if this is a constant real problem,why don't you lay down a single cable at the peripheral and be done with it? Like the robot people do. Put down a boundary and don't go over it type solution.

Since the burden of staying ON your land is yours, and not your neighbor's; it would seem you should concentrate on making your own boundary(s). Simple portable, battery powered traffic cones that you place judiciously. The computer notes their locations, draws straight lines between them and won't cross those lines, done. The beacons can take the form of those automobile keys, since they don't have to transmit contantly just every minute? so they fall out of interest to the FCC. The keys are cheap, the intelligence is cheap and you're done. The computer could even tell you when a boundary is not sufficient and tell someone to go add a cone someplace. That way, not require a lot of training to deploy.

If you have your heart set on 'fence detection' can still be done.

From memory, White metal detectors are best and cost around $600. Is that what you were referring to?

Are fence wires magnetic? If so, they'll actually stand out about 100 times more than if they're just conductors. Pretty sure nails and staples on the posts are strong.

I can see placing three 10 inch diameter sensors on the tractor which would easily 'see' a fence from at least 4 to 6 feet away as long as the fence extends on out of that view. All components readily purchasable, or construct yourself.

Regarding creating a corporate structure. The age of brick and mortar companies is fading fast. Companies formed using internet links has come of age. One I know of has 'employees' in over 7 different countries. They meet weekly in a conference call, and go off and work between calls. The sun actually never sets on this company. Been in existeance for over three years now and is just intrroducing its new product soon. And believe me, when you see it, your jaw will drop. I've seen bits and pieces and thought I could see into the future, WRONG! they're way ahead of me. Not sure which country gets to tax them for existance, but at least when they sell into a country, that govt will benefit from taxes.

Reply to
Robert Macy

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Jun 2012 07:55:09 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

wire,

L2)

| fence

Just run an insulated wire around the place. I have done it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tytus

wire,

inductance L2)

|-------------------------------------------------------

| fence

The place? That doesn't tell us anything.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

e wire,

?

need

be

I assume this is for some sort of automatic vehicle? Because when I'm out in the country, I detect fencing with my eyeballs, or -- if unlucky -- my crotch when I step over it. For me the tip off is a row of fence posts.

UC Davis has been working on machine vision for ag vehicles such that they can detect a weed in, say, a tomato field, and hit it with Roundup. Maybe you can use machine vision to detect a line of fence posts, and stop just short via triangulation.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

Um..., Dont you guys read Aviation Week? In the US, Crop Dusters use augmented GPS while airborn at centimetric acuracy. There are many, many, patents to John Deer, etc for augmented GPS using a variety of techniques. Some are free,some are pay to play.

Differntial GPS is cheap, and the Coast Guard/FAA/Private Industry transmits correction signals, on LF beacons, via satellite, and commercial FM stations, as well as dedicated, local, land mobile band transmitters.

I wont get into helicopter wire detection in a open forum, but suffice it to say, commercial and mil systems exist. Some are radar based, some IR, some passive.

Steve

Reply to
Owen Roberts

Off the shelf solution: Get some microwave type proximity detectors used on luxury cars for parking assists.

If they false alarm too much on shrubs/weeds etc. one fix might be to install two (on each side). One with a horizontal polarization and one vertical. I'm thinking (some experimentation would be needed to confirm this) that fence wire, being horizontal, is going to give a stronger return to the horizontal polarized sensor then the vertical (which would respond more strongly to vertical stuff like plants).

There are probably some microwave proximity detectors that provide not only distance but signal strength outputs, making the quantitative H/V polarization analysis easier to do. But the auto units are probably cheaper (due to quantity).

You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I worked on a Vietnam-era mine detector that had tubes in it, I think. The basic idea was a big square drive coil with 4 round coils within the outer coil. The 4 small coils were connected in series, upper left and lower right additive, then lower left and upper right additive with repect to each other, but reversed polarity from the first two. So, with no metal nearby, the circuit nulled out any field from the drive coil. if metal was nearby, it would unbalance the nulling. It could detect a tiny nail a foot away! The drive coil was about 12 x 18" as I recall, but it was 40 years ago. There was a circuit that fed some signal from the drive coil to the sense coils with a nulling pot to compensate for tolerances in the coils.

The performance of this simple circuit blew me away!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

What about mapping your field with GPS first? If you need more accuracy, get a receiver with a differential GPS input and set up a temporary DGPS base station on an established survey marker on your property.

In addition to fence (boundary) detaction, you can mark pretty much anything you need to avoid. And you can use the system for data collection. Some farmers survey their crop yields and soil conditions down to very small areas using GPS.

Drugs may be the road to nowhere, but at least they're the scenic route!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Robert - that's impressive resolution. What frequency are you using?

Hul

Robert Macy wrote:

dbr

wire,

L2)

| fence

Are cows reactive or resistant loads? :-) They sometimes behave both ways...

Reply to
Bill Martin

On a sunny day (Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:21:21 -0700) it happened Bill Martin wrote in :

I dunno, we did it with a couple of thousand people. It did not seem to effect my field strength measurements a lot. Cows are not generally magnetic I think.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

s...

They 'feed' cow magnets to them so all the bits of iron they eat stays in one place.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Reply to
notbob

On a sunny day (18 Jun 2012 19:18:39 GMT) it happened notbob wrote in :

Interesting, did not know that.

Eating magnets can be very dangerous. Especially the small powerful magnets sometimes used for facial 'art'. When two such magnets attract each other in opposing intestines they can press and kill tissue, causing holes.

|o||o| force

People have experienced severe trauma from those small magnets. The cows have a different digestive system and do not seem affected.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That was a product made by a now defunct sister company of one of my old employers.

Originally cow magnets were shiny alnicos; when for cost savings people went to ferrite, they were encapsulated in plastic.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

press

the magnets tend to stay in one section of the cow's stomach. The relevance here is that fence wire and nails are some of the bits of iron that cows can pick up while grazing in a field.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

s...

Almost everything in nature abhors a magnetic field and tries to get OUT of it, except for iron, etc.

View the video of the live frog 'floating' in a 3T field. The next time someone says that a space creature inside a saucer cannot survive the motion described, just remember that frog. All it would take is one humongous mag field and move that field as fast as the vehicle and critters inside would not only survive extreme turns, but wouldn't even notice the accelerations.

Cows, being flesh, try to get out of a field, too. Animals actually look more like a big bag of salty water, about as conductive as seawater. To run tests on proximity fence setups we used to fill a basketbal with saline solution and roll it up to the fence. Could actually adjust the sensitivity to NOT detect basketballs, but detect those larger 'medicine' ball sizes which was about the best setting.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Jon - from the era you mention, Don Lancaster wrote an excellent article describing some various ways of detecting metals. He mentions that type, 1 driving coil & 2 sensing coils that null the driving coil. He didn't provide any dimensions, though. The dimensions and sensitivity you mention will serve as a handy reference.

Hul

J> > The detector is intended for a NC tractor generally but more

Reply to
dbr

With the best one being an ALERT PILOT. Sheesh.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Maybe a couple of insulating arms poking out, with steel cables or maybe chains hanging down. Apply a reasonable voltage to the cables and look for the big spikes that will happen when a chain hits the wire. Vegetation or wood fencing will make softer spikes, so can be filtered out.

Or extended balloons. They hit the barbed wire and pop.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links