melodious sound generator

I read in sci.electronics.design that Pooh Bear wrote (in ) about 'melodious sound generator', on Wed, 31 Aug 2005:

I don't see any need for an insanity test for Australians. They all pass by default.

John Woodgate

Would it be ridiculous for me to suggest a clock, a counter, a ROM and a DAC? Then you could generate any kind of sound you want...

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

You could use one of the 6-pin SOT-23 PIC 10F-series microcontrollers and program it make a wide variety of sounds, limited only by what you can fit into 256-words of program space. The cheapest ones are less than

50 cents.
Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey

Thanks for your feedback.

Due to other constraints of cost and size, the eprom solution would not be possible.

The phase shift oscillator is interresting, I will look into it but I'd probably need to add some sort of enveloppe control.

The idea of using a PIC looks the most promising, but it's definately more work than expected for this sound signal :) Considering cost is important for me I might use this idea in the end.

Anyways, many ideas I'll think about before I make my final decision, thanks to everybody, vic

Reply to
vic

Just filter your square wave with an R/C low-pass filter.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise