medium current audio op amp needed

I am trying to make an audio amplifier using an op amp.

The frequency in will be between 1000 to 2500 Hz. The power supply will be a single 12VDC from a wall-wart or a 9V battery.

The output must drive Electro-luminescent wire with this frequency. About 1mamp.

I have searched TI's website until I can't see straight anymore.

I was an E-6 in the Navy as an ET, but that was eons ago and I can't remember how to read those data sheets like I used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
mank

On a sunny day (5 Dec 2006 22:40:48 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@bardstowncable.net wrote in :

LM380 ? LM386 ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think you need to look again a the voltage requirements

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

It would be a neat trick indeed to get >100vac necessary to drive EL things from a 12 op amp.

If its to drive via a transformer you need a bit more current becuase of magnetising current. best to look at a distributers catalogue, personally ive found farnell to have the overall best slection tables online.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

Thank you all for replying with all this great info!

My brother is the distributor for ELAM ( the inventor from Israel). ELAM's website @

shows this:

POWER AND ELECTRICAL FAQS What are the voltage levels are needed to operate LyTec=AE? Typically, voltage levels are 48-130 RMS, depending on the type of wire. However, the current drop is minimal, meaning it is possible to use either DC batteries via an inverter or direct connection (with proper precautions) to an electrical outlet.

What is the maximum current that can flow through LyTec=AE? Yes. LyTec=AE supports a maximum current of 100mA.

What is the typical current drop-through LyTec=AE? The typical current drop is in the magnitude of 1 mA/foot, depending on the combination of input voltage and frequency.

So, yes, I would need to get the voltage up to about 120vrms at 1 milliamp to the wire at about 2Khz. If I were to use a 10:1 xfrmr and the op-amps output drives the primary, the op-amp would probably need to deliver about 12 vrms (a

15VDC Vcc?) at about 12milliamps. Does that sound about right?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Mank

I dont see why you need an opamp, why not use a 555 timer chip, that will deliver some 200mA into your transformer. This will be probably more efficient as well

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello Martin!

Thanks for the suggestion. You are probably correct. I am just trying to use an audio signal source to drive the EL wire.

I need to get that audio up to the required voltage/current levels.

Since this is analog, and it must be for this application, I don't need the 555. I am a true TTL fan myself, but I need an amp at this point and not a multi-vibrator.

Thank you very much for responding!!! Every idea is welcome!!!

John

Reply to
Mank

How about using your power opamp to drive the low impedance winding of an old tube type audio output transformer and take your HV AC drive from the high impedance winding? A power transformer might work, but maybe not to 2500Hz. Use an LM386 if you need very low power or something like an ST Micro L165 for higher power output.

Mike

"The scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation...His religious feeling takes the form of rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals the intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection." Albert Einstein (theoretical physicist)

Reply to
Mike