Measuring Distributed Capacitance of an Inductor

What's a nice way to measure the distributed capacitance of an inductor without expensive equipment?

I'm testing a 150uH inductor with a Bsat= 2A.

Reply to
D from BC

Parallel resonant frequency.

Tim

Tim Williams

I figure there's two way to do that. Using generator + scope.. or putting the inductor in an oscillator.

Reply to
D from BC

If you just connect a scope across the inductor, you'll probably see ringing noise from ambient crud, and you should be able to estimate its period to a few per cent. Then, for more accuracy, hold a lead from a signal generator nearby and explore around that frequency for a resonance.

Subtract out the scope capacitance.

John

Measure the resonant frequency, and for grins, its resistance, which will slightly alter the non-resistive resonance.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I get it... Neato! Thanks. :)

Reply to
D from BC

--- If the inductance doesn't change with frequency, you could measure its self-resonant frequency and then rearrange:

1 f = --------------- 2pi (sqrt LC)

to solve for C:

1 C = ---------- 2pi f² L

JF

Reply to
John Fields

From wirebond experiments, I'd recommend measuring impedance at several frequencies within the range of interest and fit a multi-lump equivalent. A single resonance rarely fits the whole spectrum. ...Jim Thompson

If this is the working inductor for a switcher, the resonant frequency is what you want. The capacitance you get from that will be accurate enough.

If it is for some sort of filtering circuit where the input is more like a sine wave, you are best off to measure the impedance at the working frequency and any harmonics you care about. It is not uncommon for an inductor to have a rise in impedance a little sooner than you would expect from the simple parallel LC model. The losses reduce the inductance of the "L" part at high frequencies.

Reply to
MooseFET

Late at night, by candle light, John Fields penned this immortal opus:

Make that

1 C = ------------------- 4 * pi^2 * f^2 * L

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Or how about:

C = (w^-2)*(L^-1)

Reply to
D from BC

You have been around here for long enough, provide a decent overview of the test and measurement equipment you have available to do this task.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have a scope and generator.

I did what J. Larkin posted in this thread.

Here's the procedure I used: Put scope probe across the coil. Put a generator (on sq wave) clip near the coil. Look for ring on scope at generator transitions. Measure ring frequency. Do math to factor out the probe capacitance.

The generator doesn't load the coil too much due to the loose coupling (magnetic coupling?) between the generator and coil. If I got artsy, I would bring the generator probe to get just enough coupling to get above the noise to make a good ring frequency measurement on the scope.

Reply to
D from BC

Reply to
LaCariatide