measurement idea for spacetime curvature as dark energy force

Look at the scales. To create a usable black hole (as you rightly said, too small and it would evaporate immediately) you need a significant mass. To be able to control it, you would therefore need quite a lot of charge because of its large mass. And the repulsive force when trying to feed in more charge would increase with the charge you are trying to build up - making this an extremely difficult task.

Also, the physics concerning charged black holes is far from understood

- it is quite possible that with enough charge, the tiny black hole will rip itself to pieces. Of course, we'd learn a lot from such an event!

Particle colliders use much smaller and lighter particles (even the "large hadrons" are not that heavy), thus they can be controlled with smaller charges on the particles. And the collisions are often done against neutral targets, or even opposite charged targets (such as electron/positron colliders) to avoid the electromagnetic repulsion.

No, there is a huge difference. If I "believe" something, then I know it to be true - always and unchanging (unless I later lose that faith). If I "assume" something, then I willingly and temporarily treat it as true, knowing that it is not necessarily true, in order to learn something else.

The point is that different scientists (and engineers, and other technical people) can build upon each others work - even if some of the parts they rely on change in the future.

Again, this is not something new - nor is it a problem for practical work in maths. It /is/ an issue to philosophers, and it is something that many people have discussed at length.

I am not "starting to catch on" - I am merely stating some basics about science that I have understood for about three decades. But perhaps you are starting to understand what I have been trying to say (or perhaps I have started saying it in a way you understand).

What other forms of "evidence" do you suggest? I am not suggesting in any way that science can explain everything (is there a good scientific reason for us spending time on this discussion?), nor that we should go through life like Mr. Spock. But science is our best tool for understanding the workings of the universe - I know of no other that gives real and useful results (other than giving nice names to the days of the week).

Reply to
David Brown

Yes. But to get over the Coulomb barrier they have to be relativistic.

The problem with a small charged black hole is that its lifetime will be very short. The electric field at the event horizon will be more than enough to steal virtual particles from the vacuum.

The formal treatment of the mechanism by which neutral black holes evaporate being Hawking radiation. Being charged will speed it up. Basically it won't stay charged for long.

The hope in the super collider is to see the signature annihilation event of a BH into two energetic photons in opposition. Detecting the right energy photon from astrophysical objects would probably pave the way to awarding a Nobel prize to Stephen Hawking.

No. It is a useful distinction. Quite often major advances come from pure mathematicians playing with deleting one of the commonly held axioms and finding new interesting mathematics. Physicists tend to pick up on these and use them to model the universe.

Non-Euclidean spaces was an example far enough back that we can now look at it clearly with the benefit of hindsight. It allowed the clear formulation of general relativity.

The SUSY models, Clifford algebras and modern string theory are all still too recent to be able to decide whether it is a step forward, backward, sideways or a dead end. Nature is the ultimate arbiter.

Actually their understanding of hexagonal close packing would appear to be rather good. There are not that many solutions to the problem.

When the current model is refuted by observations then it is time to get a new model. Classical physics suffered this fate when the photoelectric effect was observed and quantum mechanics was born.

We can build computational models of the universe that can test our assumptions and they have become very convincing. This approach has a long history the first codes original started out with stars the

It isn't clear whether or not we can project our laws of physics back reliably or not. We cannot experiment with energies that would be present in the earliest stages of the big bang but we may still be able to compute things based on our understanding of the physics.

Generally because it isn't.

We prefer it to be repeatable, but there are plenty of scientific discoveries of unique objects that push the boundaries. There is only one pulsar orbiting another pulsar for instance.

Astronomers are resigned to the fact that they can only observe what is there - they cannot go and tinker with it ans see what happens.

Laboratory experiments are much easier since you can control the conditions and see what happened and others can try it again. Even then you can get dodgy results published as happened with "cold fusion".

The key point about science is that it is ultimately self correcting. Someone will eventually dream up a clever experiment that shows the status quo is wrong and then the theorists have to adjust the theory.

It is a conjecture that probably doesn't hold. My instinct would be that the acceleration would be always in quantum lumps just less frequently so that the continuous approximation of classical GR breaks down at that limit but not in a way that would matter.

The failure or GR that is worrying is at the centre of a black hole where it predicts a hard singularity. Quantum gravity will almost certainly solve that bind. Lucky we have the cosmic censorhip of the event horizon to prevent us fro seeing one of these nasties.

We have to hope for the merger of a neutron star or BH with another object. When mass goes down the plug hole quickly it will generate quite a powerful signal. Binary pulsars show the predicted loss of energy that GR expects to see but a direct observation of gravitational waves would be a coup. It is an incredibly difficult task though looking for a fraction of an atom change in pathlength over a km or so.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Hi,