Math Puzzle...

Another goof. Again, I left the maximum timestep at 10ps for testing.

I don't think posting the entire file again is needed. Please set the maximum timestep to 1ps to show the window effect on the avgx signal.

The timestep should read .tran 0 200n 0 1ps. Then change it to 10ps and

100ps to see the effects on the avgx signal.

In all these cases, you can get a very different result in the avgx signal when making small changes to the parameters.

Again, the Bessel (or any other linear phase filter of your choice) is independant of the parameter settings. It also gives the fastest risetime with the lowest ripple.

If you happen to need a free filter program that is easy to use, try Elsie:

JK

Reply to
John K

I guess Larkin believes the simulator can see into the future ;-) ...Jim Thompson

That depends on what you expected. A decent FFT usually includes windowing options, to remove the sort of crud that Jim got from rectangular averaging.

As far as the time shift goes, it would be easy to center the window on the actual data, and eliminate the width/2 time lag.

Pspice is expensive, isn't it? They could provide something better than a dumb laggy sinc averager.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It has all the data from a run. At any point on the graph, except for a slice at the very end, it can see into the future.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

[snip]

PSpice has a nice FFT function available within Probe... no pre-thought required with a .MEAS statement in the schematic.

And rectangular averaging _over_a_single_period_ gives nice results.

Why don't you show us how "easy" that would be with your filter approach. Seems to me it has substantial lag also, as illustrated in...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Re: AVGX==Convolution - AVGX_ConvolutionVsFilter.png - AVGX_ConvolutionVsFilter.png Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 12:12:55 -0700 Message-ID:

Is anyone making you purchase PSpice?

And... Does anyone consider theses waveforms either illuminating or an accurate rendition of "efficiency"...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Larkin Skeptic - LTspice_Larkin_Skeptic_Waveforms.png Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:40:30 -0700 Message-ID:

In spite of Larkin's fudging LIMIT expression, the simulation is reporting greater than 100% ?? ...Jim Thompson

How would that give me better information? I'm NOT doing an FFT, I'm doing a running average.

I think I see a way to display that in PSpice. PSpice has a useful feature called Performance Analysis. ...Jim Thompson

It's the same problem. A rectangular window creates ugly artifacts, averaging or FFT. In your sims, look at how averaged waveform ripple varies with tiny changes in window width. Note how much smoother and repeatable a filter is. A filter is mathematically identical to using a smarter windowing function.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sure. Does Pspice support that?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yep, shown in my first post examples, where I showed various window widths. Did you not see that? ...Jim Thompson

What I saw was that you manually forced the test signal and the averaging window to align. Will you do that manually, locally, for every current and power average that you do on a varying-frequency switching regulator?

Filters just always work.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Nope. Where did you get that idea? I only selected the window width equal to the period. I suspect I can do it for a non-periodic situation as well, just do it in the Probe "Performance Analysis" window where searches can be done.

On a clocked system (as yours supposedly is), don't you know the period?

Sure they do. How come you got greater than 100% efficiency?

And my energy out / energy in approach is absolutely accurate, independent of period.

I think your "spot" efficiency concept is totally flawed... at least as you implemented it... individually "filtering" each signal, THEN dividing. And what absurd results do you get if you don't LIMIT?

Bwahahahaha! Now THIS is funny. Take away that LIMIT function and it's well-behaved (probably because the spike Larkin fretted over is quite narrow)...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Larkin_Skeptic_NoLimit - LTspice_Larkin_Skeptic_NoLimit.png Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 11:48:46 -0700 Message-ID:

Why did you feel a need for LIMIT?

Or did you just copy it from someone?

Also one should not add the filters inside the actual functional schematic since they influence the result. Instead add the filtering off to the side as a measuring device. You don't need an R to measure current... just use -I(V2)*9

As for all your machinations to avoid a surge current, why not use one of your favorite depletion mode FET's feeding a common flyback switcher and avoid all your excess folderol? ...Jim Thompson

Some switchers are clocked, most aren't. None of the converters we've worked with lately are constant-frequency. Even if they were, independent of Vcc and temperature and load, you'd have to accurately measure the period and set your averaging to some exact multiple.

There are times, during startup and top-off idle, when the numerator/denominator of the divide both decay towards zero. I understand what's happening so it doesn't confuse me.

And doesn't display what I want to see.

OK, invent a better way to do it. Show us.

Occasional teravolt glitches for picoseconds at startup, crazy values after shutdown when Iin and Iout are both zero, stuff like that. LIMIT keeps Spice fron rescaling the graphs to silly values.

Some sims need LIMIT, some don't. So why not leave it in?

It's only a simulation; it's not real life.

Asshole.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It gave you >100%, leaving it out didn't. Explanation??

Your fall-back retort.

Designed anything recently that didn't require a tweak ?:-)

I knew you'd revert to name-calling, sooner or later :-( And you did copy it, didn't you ?:-)

You're not interested in a true face-to-face engineering discussion. You only want to dance around and self-declare yourself as the prima donna. And you absolutely can't tolerate criticism. ...Jim Thompson

Are you suggesting that the LIMIT function can generate bigger values than if it were not used? Post an example.

Only after you went into insult mode. I was talking on-topic.

No. Unless you think that computing 100 * Pout/Pin is some sort of violation of some trade secret. The first and second order lowpass current shunts are original to me, but hardly Nobel work. It's just a pi filter with the cap low side on Vin instead of ground.

Face to face? No thanks. You're a lot uglier than I am. Besides, you've threatened to shoot me, beat me up, and run over me with your walker.

You don't like being wrong any more than I do, but you do it more often.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[snip]

As in...

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.schematics.electronic Subject: Depletion-mode Limited Surge - Switcher_SED_3_2013_07_14.pdf Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:11:54 -0700 Message-ID:

Which suggests there's probably an LT part off-the-shelf plus a depletion-mode FET that fits the bill perfectly... no amateurish "Skeptic" configuration required. ...Jim Thompson

If I used a flyback, there would be no big powerup surge. That's unique to a single-inductor buck.

Show us.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation