Matching to the impedance of an alternator.

I'm the OP who asked the question and the link posted by Marcell pretty much answered it - I can take it from there.

That means I don't care (and probably no one else does either) whether JT knows the answer or not.

Reply to
Ian Field

8th you mean - and Ive met less childish 5yr olds!
Reply to
Ian Field

--
Tit for tat.
Reply to

JT is a tit and his posts here are tat.

Reply to
Ian Field

--
As far as I know, there aren't any bicycle hub alternators out there
that can output an RMS ampere into _any_ kind of load so, instead of

Mind you, I won't hold my breath until you do.
Reply to
John Fields

--
Tit for tat is an English saying meaning "equivalent retaliation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat

Aren't you even pommy enough to understand the idiom?
Reply to
John Fields

Equivalent? I'm discussing electronics and he's making goofy noises.

John

Lot of blather, from a guy who can't tell inductance from reactance.

John

[snip]

I also ran the dynamo model into a _perfect_ auto-transformer, varying inductance all the way up to 100H, hunting for success. As I posted, the results look very much like a power-limited source.

'Tis a shame they built it that way to avoid any electronics.

Larkin will sink his own boat, I don't have to do it. He can keep lying, but I have the whole thread in time sequence. ...Jim Thompson

And can't read either!

He claims to be quoting me as saying the exact opposite of what I actually did say.

Reply to
Ian Field

Bizarre.

I suggested the fixed-duty-cycle buck switcher current multiplier on the 9th. You did it, badly, on the 15th. That's a long time to design a bad switcher.

John

The excess inductance was a good idea when bicycle dynamos were invented, but I agree that it just gets in the way now. It would be nice to design a "proper" dynamo then have a small box of electronics that takes care of voltage regulation and power management. You could then have separate outputs for accessory power, lighting power and battery charging, each with their own power management algorithm.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

the

And if I was also born in a leap year, I would be 11. That wouldn't necessarily give me license to act 11.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

the

I'm not. ...Jim Thompson

Indeed! It would be so easy! ...Jim Thompson

No - more like 5.

Reply to
Ian Field

For some people... I'm far enough away from electronics design (and more importantly, mass production electronics assembly) that my best bet is for one of you folks to design and market said device.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

of

Debatable. Your taunting of Larkin has become tiresome to me and maybe others.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The electronics is easy, as I've already demonstrated. I pursued this thread because it intrigued me that maybe I could make a saleable product with very limited resources.

Circuits are easy. Mechanical production almost _requires_ China. So I'd be more apt to simply make an add-on to existing Sturmey-Archer units.

I'll ask around and see what the bicycle crowd would buy... we have a lot of folks right here in my neighborhood. Seems that Sturmey-Archer hubs are only 1.8W, but new Shimano hubs are 3W, and can be had for ~$100. Spin it up an actually measure it. Find a nice LT buck chip that will run faster than a 555, and away you go ;-) ...Jim Thompson

can't be constant power: peopole run two headights in series off them for twice the illumination.

hmm, series:

use a relay to put the battery in series with the lamp when there's enough speed (use a diode pump driven by the altenator to power the relay) short the bottom diode when there's enough charge.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to