Making a Full Wave Rectified Signal in Ltspice.

afaik it's not possible to set the 'Independent V source' alone to create a full wave rectified signal. It would be tidy to know for sure.

Last time I used 2 out of phase generators and 2 ideal diodes. Simpler?

The purpose is to have a simple model of a bridge rectifier on the mains.

Reply to
D from BC

Just ground one leg of the "Independent V source' through a very, very large resistance. The simulator is looking for a path to ground so that it can "anchor" its calculations.

Reply to
Greg Neill

V*sgn(V)

See p43 of the LTspice manual. ...Jim Thompson

Ah, don't feel bad. Last night I was dabbling around with some diode strings in a circuit and I decided to do a jumper around them instead of editing them out of the circuit. The jumper works fine how ever, when you click on the diode string inside the jumper string, you get a nice graph of loaded noise!.

I guess some one could of thought the jumper wire may act as a antenna and the diodes were acting like detectors. That is the only thing I can come up with why LtSPice would even bother processing them.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE 160 96 -16 96 WIRE -16 128 -16 96 WIRE -16 224 -16 208 FLAG -16 224 0 SYMBOL bv -16 112 R0 SYMATTR InstName B1 SYMATTR Value V=170*abs(sin (377*time)) TEXT -50 248 Left 2 !.tran 0 .1 0 10u

Reply to
John S

My favorite is leaving voltage sources loaded with nothing. Just grounded. Often I have many unused voltage sources on the schematic as if I had many power supplies adjusted on the bench and connected to whichever needed. 'What was that last voltage I tried?'

Reply to
D from BC

Ah.. Using the arbitrary behavioral voltage source.

I would have tried degrees first.

360/period = 21600 degrees/s.

But function is set for radians.

2*pi/period = 377 radians/s.
Reply to
D from BC

Maybe it's cause it's late but I'm trying to make sense of that.

Reply to
D from BC

Will look into that. Thks.

Reply to
D from BC

mains.

Perhaps it was my interpretation of the problem you were experiencing that is at fault, and not your ability to comprehend my reply :-)

When I read your post I thought the issue was with the simulator software not liking a transformer primary circuit 'floating' without a path to ground (Typically one would like to make the gound node coincide with the negative DC output lead).

But now I see that really you just want to have a voltage source that produces a full-wave rectified waveform.

Reply to
Greg Neill