Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage? (2023 Update)

And my mouse driver is 130MB, yet it was 50KB in 1991. Programmers' IQs are dropping like a stone.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, it isn't. It takes about 5 minutes to prepare my repeats - at most £10. The drugs inside are worth a lot more than that

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes. Linux now on an SSD is about as fast to boot as a Z80 CP/M computer on floppies.

Does a bit more once booted though

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why should it? The voltage swings are smaller, and the transistors doing the switching are lot smaller.

"The Windows 10 May 2019 update brought some unwelcome news. Microsoft used the update to increase the Windows 10 installation size from 16GB for 32-bit and 20GB for 64-bit to 32GB for both versions."

"MS-DOS 6.22 takes just under 7MB of space. "

So 20 times longer to start up 2300 times bigger operating system.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

There are lots of things that chimps can digest that we can't. I expect they can eat potatoes uncooked except they don't live in America.

Reply to
Max Demian

It is the same here, and they give another reason: so that the patient doesn't poison himself with an overdose.

Here it is a computer, no paper involved.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Humans can eat potatoes uncooked.

Ask anyone from the Nazi youth who saw out the end of WWII.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, but mine are delivered free of charge. Then we are told to buy over the counter medicines, but can only buy limited quantities. So when we visit the supermarket I buy the paracetomol with the main shop and my wife buys the ibuprofen on a second....

Reply to
David Wade

Accidentally or deliberately?

I find my mother is more likely to skip doses than overdose.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes. Most patients skip doses. But I guess if you are on painkillers or morphine on a daily basis...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The stupid grouping together of both into a single overall limit really annoys me. I and my wife have frequently been told by doctors to use paracetamol and to use ibuprofen half-way between paracetamol doses, as the two don't act in the same way and neither affects the dose you are allowed with the other. That being so, there is no reason to add the two quantities together when buying.

Reply to
SteveW

Raw potatoes are more likely to cause digestive issues and may contain more antinutrients and harmful compounds. Yet, they're higher in vitamin C and resistant starch, which may provide powerful health benefits. In truth, both raw and cooked potatoes can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a healthy diet.Oct 18, 2018

Eating Raw Potatoes: Healthy or Harmful? - Healthline

Is It Actually Dangerous to Eat Raw Potato? - MyRecipes

› healthy-diet › is-it-safe-to... Jan 31, 2018 — The main source of concern when it comes to raw potato consumption is a toxic compound called solanine, which can cause headaches, nausea, ...

Can You Eat Raw Potatoes? - Allrecipes

› article › can-you-eat-raw-... Apr 13, 2022 — You can eat raw potato, but you might not want to. Raw potatoes contain solanine and lectins, two compounds that can cause gastric distress and ...

Are Raw Potatoes Safe To Eat? - Tasting Table

› are-raw-potatoes-safe-to... Mar 14, 2022 — While potatoes can be eaten raw, per LIVESTRONG, one should do so in moderation due to certain risks. According to the outlet, raw potatoes ...

Can You Eat Undercooked Potatoes ? No, It Can Make You Sick

› can-you-eat-undercooked-potat... May 1, 2022 — Potatoes, especially raw or undercooked, contain glycoalkaloids that can prove toxic if consumed in high doses. It can lead to itchiness, ...

So, that's a no.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Here they are free of charge fully or partially or not depending on the person (retired, jobless, etc).

Impossible to buy paracetamol in the supermarket here. I can buy it on the pharmacy, without a prescription if it is 500 mg (maybe 600 mg, I don't remember).

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

The later, I guess, but both are possible.

For that, use a plastic box with the pills for each part of the day and the week, whatever you call that in English.

Or write it up.

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

usually 500mg per pill

here you can get one pack of 10 at the supermarket,gasstation etc. at the pharmacy it is one pack of 20 without a prescription

with a prescription I think a glass is 300 pills

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

So thats a yes.

In moderation, and probably peeled

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mine cost about three quid. Obviously the _correct_ repeat interval will depend on the drug cost.

And on yours - say your drugs cost £100 a time, and the cost is £10.

If they gave you two months worth they'd save £60 per year. Unless you're in the habit of losing them every couple of years they'd still be better off.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yeah, we have that.

I phone her every time she's supposed to take medication. She still screws it up.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

No, its a yes, we can digest uncooked potatoes.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Like what ?

So can humans and plenty have done that when desperate.

Reply to
Rod Speed