Mains power voltage drop to reduce usage? (2023 Update)

I treat Europe as one country, since you have that Brussels shit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I can kill you, whether there are consequences doesn't matter, it can still be done.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Underwater is irrelevant, it's the capacitance in the wire.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That's a f****ng big invertor.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

LOL

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Cool, we form hostile tribes over skin color, language, religion, location, and political party, and now we can war over frequency.

If we keep inventing things to divide over, specifically about 33 things, every tribe could have one member. Then everyone could attack anybody else on sight.

What's the dielectric constant of copper?

:-)

Reply to
Carlos E.R.

Mention of HPIB reminds me of my first encounter with that, the AN/ALM-191 Radar Warning Receiver Test Set. That was a small rack of interconnected test equipment that we used to test and align the RWR preamps so that airborne threats could be properly classified and located, resulting in proper threat display on a set of cockpit scopes for the pilot and his EWO. Good times.

I also worked with tons of other equipment on these (and related) pages:

AN/ALR-46 AN/ALR-69 AN/ALQ-119 AN/ALQ-131 AN/ALE-40 and so many others.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

That's asking for a big f****ng jolt to come through when Russia blows up a power station over there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

By which side?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"Some US kit built for 60Hz only would get awfully hot on UK 50Hz mains."

And yet you think only a couple of Hz would be a problem?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Surely a "fairly small electric plant" going off wouldn't change much at all? What was it, 0.01% of the grid?

What fool designed those?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It was a big enough chunk that their spinning reserve was about half what was needed to stabilise the grid and frequency fell below 48Hz. AT that point automatic load shedding began in earnest.

A subtle part of the problem was that it was a nice sunny day and although they shed 1GW of nominal load they also shed 600MW of embedded generation with it so that the equations didn't immediately balance and they were then forced to take more drastic action.

The recoil also disconnected a major wind farm in the North Sea and that coupled with the high N to S power transfer at that time of day was enough to take down a fairly wide area of the southern network.

People who thought that the mains supply in the UK is stable. (and usually it is)

Reply to
Martin Brown

You'd think auto shedding would occur at say 45Hz. 4% low isn't the end of the world.

Must be pretty easy to automatically shut off a town's power to stabilise things. Auto-switches could be in ther larger substations.

WTF? You never get powercuts? You expect the train to have a perfect connection to the overhead lines?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What brought you to the number 33?

Every man for himself is a well known method.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Smarty pants, tell me the reason then. And show your working.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

2^33 = 8.6e9.

But some things have more than 2 choices, so more like 2x5x3x2x4x3x5x4x3x2x3x4x5x4x2x5x4 until you get to 8 billion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Copper isn't an insulator.

Reply to