low-end scope

=20

they=20

route.

was=20

Crikey, how big is that wall wart?

Reply to
JosephKK

It's the size of a healthy laptop PC supply. Actually, I think it is one.

We're using this little yellow thing, plugged into the power connector on an mini-itx motherboard.

John

It was continued on the next wall! ;-)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

the=20

=20

goes=20

they=20

route.

and

soap

was=20

So it is more like a typical laptop brick than a wall wart.

Reply to
JosephKK

scope

here

al

o that

that

harge

art

an

be

s,

es

og" :-)

ep

pack.

Hot swap batteries in that scope. Kewl!

There is a lot to be said for soap on a rope or wall warts. You keep the heat outside the box. If you are familiar with radios, Icom made the R-7100 with internal supply. For stability, people quickly realized that an outside power supply help. When the R-8500 came out, they built it to use an external power supply and skip the internal supply.

The external supply keeps high voltage out of the box. It's really not a bad idea.

Reply to
miso

ey

e.

as

I was looking at that company for their mobile supply. Any problems with the supply you bought?

They have an interesting timer scheme. Many modes. Some modes kind of clever like if the ignition is cut, wait a set amount of time before shutting down the PC. This is in the event the person turned off the car then just realized they had to get something off the PC.

Reply to
miso

The little switcher things seem fine.

John

scope

that

:-)

It makes getting UL/CE certs a lot easier.

John

two

eal scope

real

n where

real

t so that

der that

s charge

it,

. Part

at

aiwan

ey

ld be

ts.

n't

nics,

ns.

udies

smog" :-)

deep

are

in a

,

ackpack.

es

hey

te.

nd

was

Exactly. UL evaluates what goes into the mains. I knew someone that did wall warts for a living. To say these were not engineered well is an understatement. The manufacturers name was always some mystery Chinese company, even though these guys in the states were the sole customer and obviously reseller of the product. Well, that was the plan. The ghost shift in China can eat into your profits so quickly that you will question the wisdom of offshoring.

All that said, I've evaluated some really good wall warts.

Reply to
miso