Looking for a motor speed control circuit.

Can anyone please point me to a web page that has the schematic of a speed control circuit with these features ?

  1. It should be analog, not microprocessor-based. No tachometer.

  1. The motor will be a mains-operated brushed DC type of

1 or 2 hp, with a separate field winding. The load will be fairly constant, but speed should not be greatly affected by mains voltage fluctuations.

  1. It doesn't have to be super-precise, but should be somewhat more sophisticated and precise than a typical drill speed control with an SCR plus four or five passive components.

  2. It should have a good starting torque as the load will be permanently coupled.

  1. Speed control range should be roughly from one-third to two-thirds of the full rated speed.

  2. If possible, I'd like to avoid dedicated speed control ICs even if they're analog.

I'll probably be able to adapt a good general design to my particular requirements. I'm not entirely clueless about the theory, but rather long out of touch with practical designing. I have searched with Google, but the two dozen or so results I checked did not have what I need. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
pjdd

Homer J Simpson

For a DC motor of 1-2 horsepower, you might want to consider the simple and rugged autotransformer; just rectify the AC and feed it to the motor.

Assuming you have a 180V DC rating, a 20A autotransformer and suitable 120V branch circuit could do ya; it'll cost more than a commercial DC motor control, but eBay or craigslist can solve that problem.

Reply to
whit3rd

Try a web search on "pulse-width modulation" "motor speed control", and whatnot.

I once built an astable with a pot in the middle, so I could dial the duty cycle from about 5% to about 95%. I only ran a little bitty 12V,

150 mA motor, but that could be easily scaled up to a few KW, if you're handy with high-current stuff.

I would recommend against a variac, because when you reduce a motor's voltage, the torque decreases dramatically. With PWM, you get full torque all the way down to 0 RPM.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

KB sell all of those.