Lockin' stuff up

Saw a PSA on the tube last night (I don't often watch TV so apologies if this is "old news"). Issue was basically: "lock up your Rx medications so folks living/visiting your home can't help themselves to them, discretely".

[I guess I've never had any Rx that I'd imagine anyone ever *wanting* to take without cause! :< ]

When younger, as a goof, we'd fill the medicine cabinet with *marbles* (e.g., prior to hosting a party) as a crude "indicator" that someone was *snooping* (again, nothing in there worth taking so the idea was just to sort out which of your "friends" happened to be NOSEY!).

[Marbles rolling out of a cabinet as an unsuspecting bloke opens it make a helluva racket AND scare the shit out of the culprit: "Oh, crap! I've got to clean this up QUICK! And, hope I get ALL of them even those that might have rolled UNDER something!"]

Of course, it does nothing to prevent the culprit from seeing and/or taking any of the items in that cabinet. It's just an *indicator*.

It seems to me that there should be a cheap way of making something (less kludgey) that achieved the same results. The trick would be that if it became widely used, a "potential culprit" would be alerted to its potential presence. And, *might* be able to take steps to circumvent its "detection" function.

[E.g., a simple device could detect *light* falling on it and trip its indicator. This could be thwarted by opening the cabinet in the dark, etc. The marble hack could be thwarted by prepositioning a bag/bucket to capture the potentially present marbles AS they exit the enclosure; then, pour them back in place as you reclose the door -- the home occupant would be hard pressed to know that they had been removed and replaced in this way!]

Ideally, something small, unobtrusive, inexpensive -- that could become a ubiquitous part of "at risk" medicine cabinets (sold at your local discount store)?

Reply to
Don Y

The bathroom is a lousy place to keep drugs.

Reply to
krw

Meth is often made from pseudoephidrine (eg: Sudafed)

Jasen Betts

Its my understanding that you need a boatload of sudafed to make any appreciable amount of meth.

I suspect they were just "self medicating" with whatever they could find. Like drunks -- it doesn't have to be "top shelf" to solve their immediate need! :<

Reply to
Don Y

if this is "old news"). Issue was basically: "lock up your Rx medications so folks living/visiting your home can't help themselves to them, discretel y". "

I had not really realized society had gotten that bad. I mean, this is comm on enough to have a TV show about it ?

I am very picky about who comes in the house, and actually do most of my en tertaining in the Man cave in the basement. There is a toilet down there an d you can wash your hands at the tub next to the washer or turn on the show er. Eventually I might put a sink down there for that purpose but for now, what is there will suffice.

Reply to
jurb6006

Very nice. But how do you drain the waste water and effluent?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would imagine they use a sewer line.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

It goes down the drain like from any other toilet. I don't know how it is w here you live but around here the actual drain out to the street is a coupl e of feet under the basement floor and having a toilet down there is very p ossible, and almost common.

Also, you only need that for the toilet, the tubs and shower can just go to the floor drain. The toilet is what actually NEEDS the real drain, and it has one.

I know in many parts of the world and even the US people can't do that for several reasons. Like in Florida, if you can even keep a basement dry, and they don't even try, they build most of their stuff on a slab, forget it.

But here in Ohio, I would say that maybe 25 % of suburban houses have a toi let in the basement, and yes, properly connected to the sewer system. Some basements are even carpeted, but I do not recommend that no matter where yo u live. If the people who come to the Man cave cannot walk on cement or til e, they need not come. I go down there in bare feet actually, but not as mu ch in the winter.

In fact I go out to the garage for a smoke in bare feet when it is not cold . Sometimes at night. I joke to myself that if the cops ever come because t hey saw something suspicious I would tell them "Yeah I always rob garages i n my bare feet".

Reply to
jurb6006

That excuse wouldn't work in California. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It wouldn't work here for most people but I am somewhat connected. They do not bother me anymore. How I got "made" is not the point, the point is that when the cops come I joke around with them, and I do not call them sir, I just treat them like normal human beings. Plus there is one thing on my rec ord. And NO, I did not turn in a drug dealer or anything. I like drug deale rs. They are not stealing, and it is the government that causes all this vi olence shit. Dealers are just like a grocery store, or better yet a liquor store. Those used to be all operated by the state but they loosened that up . They themselves sold shit that was as bad as crack, so what do they have to say about it ? Other than "We have more guns".

I would never go to California, under any circumstances. You would have to drag me in chains there. I do not like the whole deal there, government, an d people who support that shit, and the fact that they will fall off the en d of the country one of these days. Their laws, taxes and cost of living, t here is simply no way.

Actually Ohio is pretty bad. F. Lee Baily said he would not practice law he re because there is apparently no Constitution. They put a Black guy in jai l because he didn't have lids on his garbage cans. Even California hasn't d one that as far as I know. But they did have a situation where people got f ined if their grass turned brown, and fined if they water it.

All these governments are crazy, and I love to play with crazy. And if the cops come, I will tell them of all my physical maladies.

Not long ago I used to own my own house, the cops would not set foot on the property. I knew a guy had a bar they would not go into when on duty, but did stop in after. After hours joint, they were there until four in the mor ning when they are supposed to close at 2:30.

We know where the speed traps are, the DUI checkpoints, where they are look ing for drug activity. We know where we're being watched and not. We know t his place. To go somewhere unfamiliar would be stupid, even though the weat her sucks here.

Reply to
jurb6006

I totally like totaly agree with you bruh. the place is a magnet for all sorts of weierdies, homos, psychos, wannabe actors, leftys, cereal- killers and other ass orted asswipes.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Our subdivision has septic tanks that are about 18" below the surface. The homes that have toilets in their basements[*] have to have a grinder (sewage) pump to lift the sewage into the septic tank. It's pretty common.

[*] We have an unfinished basement with the bathroom also unfinisned.
Reply to
krw

The homes that have toilets in their basements[*] have to have a grinder (sewage) pump to lift the sewage into the septic tank. It's pretty common. "

I don't recall where you're at, but those pumps are not uncommon. I guess t here is one good thing about this area, the lay of the land. Our sewers gen erally run about 18" below the basement. Higher elevation I guess is the ke y here because it has to go down somewhere. The problem comes when it canno t do down because you don't have the elevation. A septic tank causes simila r problems I guess but I really thought they were buried lower than that. I n my life I have only lived in one house with a septic tank but I had nothi ng to do with it.

Now there is a city/county whatever in this state that doesn't want you to do any repairs on your septic tank, they want you to replace it. Of course being Ohio, the land of the sociopath, they just do such repairs on the wee kends. Why they want them replaced is anybody's guess but my guess is that a septic tank company bribed government officials. That is what people do n ot understand, everyone is a crook here. We have a code of honor among frie nds but the government tries to give it to us up the dupa all the time, so we try to avoid them and if possible sometimes return the favor when opport unity strikes. (that is the main thing Slowman does not understand) It is a lmost like a war.

Anyway, with the elevation here, a toilet in the basement does not depend o n electricity. I think that an advantage. But again it is just the lay of t he land. There are so many disadvantages to living here that it is not wort h it to move here to have a toilet in the basement, to say the least.

Other places are different. There was a guy in Florida made a living puttin g people's houses up on stilts. I shit you not. Then under the house became the garage. People who had been flooded multiple times and were sick of cl eaning up the mess were very eager customers and last I heard the company w as doing well. I guess your car still got flooded but that is better than y our house.

There are a few advantages to living here, utilities are cheap, housing is cheap. We don't have floods or typhoons, the last tornado in the city I kno w of was in Lakewood and it wiped out a bunch of garages but the houses wer e alright. Out in the stix of course they have had a few but there is less to wipe out there. The main problem is it seems to go from zero to one hund red degrees every year. It really doesn't but it seems like it. Now if ther e were jobs we would be alright.

Reply to
jurb6006

Checking out medicine cabinets has been going since Ann Landers wrote about it in here column 40 years ago.

Mikek

amdx

about it in here column 40 years ago. "

Rant time. Why are people so fixated on these drugs ? I mean AHDH drugs ? I can understand some percs or whatever, especially the good ones, but it se ems people think these things are food or something.

How did we get here ? Forty, or more, years ago my Mother said "We live in a drug oriented society". It is cool how they had those "Just say no" ads o n TV and also had drug ads. Has this conditioning worked that well on peopl e ? I don't even take aspirin. I drink and smoke weed. Those are fairly nat ural substances and their effects are predictable.

But when some chemical company concocts some new shit you have no idea what it will do to you. YOU, I don't mean the test subjects who reported side e ffects that are sometimes worse than what their snake oil pill is supposed to treat. Not cure, treat. If they cure you they lose a customer.

I wouldn't take someone elses drugs at gunpoint, in fact I usually don't ev en take my own, on the rare occasions when I had a prescription. Don't peop le realize that that shit is unnatural and should only be taken when absolu tely necessary ?

What's more, I wonder what kind of people they are letting in their house. THEY ARE STEALING, supposedly from a friend. If I was at a friend's place a nd wanted drugs, say some percs or vikes, I would ask for them. I would not go through their shit and just take it. What kind of people are these ? I don't know any like that, and quite frankly I don't want to. I don't need p eople around me I cannot trust. It really is that simple.

So the basic question becomes - what kind of people are they ? Seriously. I was dead broke and found a fifty on the floor of the bathroom, I took it t o the people and said "I found this on the bathroom floor and I am pretty s ure it is not mine". I could have easily kept it.

As I said a while back, I care not what is legal or not. But that does not mean I am dishonest or anything like that. I like my pot and beer but I wil l not steal to get it, in fact I will not even borrow to get it. Just becau se I care not about the "law" does not make me a criminal, trust is more im portant. Like driving, I haven't had a license for like twenty years now bu t have been stopped a bunch of times. Now, believing in personal responsibi lity for ones actions I do not drive because of my eyesight. I do not want to hurt anyone who does not want to hurt me. Sure I get to test drive peopl e's cars when conditions are optimum, but that is a rare occurrence. But of course I do not steal the car...

I just can't imagine going through other people's shit, whether a drawer in their desk or dresser, or their medicine cabinet. Hell, I ask before going into their kitchen cabinets to find a glass for my quaff. I don't go into other rooms to which I have not been invited. Snoop around the bedrooms n s hit. I consider that wrong. If a guest I will never open your medicine cabi net unless you tell me to. I mean like I need a Qtip or something.

What is wrong with people ?

Rant over.

Reply to
jurb6006

Other species don't seem to suffer the same level of such problems.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You have to be able to get at the septic tank to pump it out, so it can't be too deep. I guess they could have put it in our back yard, which would have put it below the basement floor but I don't think the dirt is very god back there.

Often cities will have sewage pumping stations. Not every city is on constant slope. ;-)

Why would you _repair_ a septic tank? How would you repair a septic tank. It's just a big concrete box (some old ones are metal)?

I'd like somewhere, other than the kitchen sink, to clean paint brushes.

In a flood, the car should be two states away, with you! ;-) I see the house-on-stilts often in huricane zones. Makes a lot of sense.

Cheap here, too. I think I get a break on my taxes (both "retirment" income and property) this year, too. Not sure how big the reduction is, yet, but I'm told it's enoguh that I won't leave when I actually retire.

Reply to
krw

Fred Flintstone checked out Barney's. ;-)

Reply to
krw

brushes. "

The backyard.

the house-on-stilts often in huricane zones. Makes a lot of sense. "

My car would be two states away, forever. House gets flooded ? I bitched ma ny decades ago about the feds helping people rebuild in such zones. It's ju st going to happen again and then out comes our wallet again. I know why th ey live there, they have fantastic flora. Grow a garden there in the backya rd and you will get the best produce available.

But it floods.

If you think about it, that show taught the worst morality ever. Women stea ling the wallets, Barney running around just looking like a counterfeiter a nd Fred chasing him, repaying for everything Barney bought, sneaking around on their Wives. Not actually cheating on them but I bet if they wrote some new episodes today they would. But really, they broke into that new neighb or's house, the one whose voice was like Alfred Hitchcock. Supposedly had a Wife named Agatha, remember that ? That's breaking and entering and is a f elony in most places. What did that teach the kids ?

Rant over.

Reply to
jurb6006

Not all that fun running the hose in the Winter. It's pretty messy at any time.

Sure. One chance.

I just remember "Lenny, Lenny, Lenny". ;-)

Reply to
krw