locked out

With the appropriate thermostat, the new heat pump we put in this Winter will dehumidify as well as cool. Basically, it just lowers the fan RPM to make the coils colder, dropping more water out of the air. A thermostat with a humidity sensor (and a couple of more wires to the control board) is need to use the function.

I was told this was a bad practice because it unbalances the system and increases the back pressure. I was doing it more to move air to the family room. The builder screwed up the HVAC big time.

Which is the idea of the HVAC mode above.

Reply to
krw

No, an normal air conditioner will lower the temperature in the room to reduce humidity. He wants to reduce the humidity so he can *raise* the temperature in the room.

Reply to
krw

They exist. I've seen thermostats that have a Bluetooth connected remote sensor. I thought it was kinda silly, but...

Reply to
krw

The anticipator just makes them function like thermostats with small hysteresis, which is exactly what most heating & cooling systems want.

I had an electronic programable room stat. Ripped it out & upgraded to an old bimetal. There's no lack of junk products out there.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

that's usually a pain, delivering a tiny icon sized version of it until one changes the 0 to 1 at the end of the address.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If the software doing the backup goes wrong you can find you have none that are retrievable. Too ,many have fallen into that pothole.

I always refused to use compression with backups as it made the odds of bei ng unable to retrieve data much higher - and now of course the cost of capa city is very low. I remember being very pleased to get a 1G HDD years ago! And one time being wowed by a 70M HDD. Funny how things change.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's just Windows copying folders and files.

lunatic fringe electronics

Is this a tiny icon?

It is a nuisance to edit the link to be

lunatic fringe electronics

I prefer the changed file archive method because in most cases what happens to me is I've deleted or overwritten a file that I need to then recover. With OSX's Time Machine (TM) I can go back as many days, weeks,

years, as I like to find the original good file and restore it.

As for images, TM does do a drive image and can (and has) reproduced a failed drive completely up to the last save when the drive croaked. As it is always updating (every hour or so) the individual backups can be small, but they are fast and do not consume much resources.

It all depends on what you are using your computer for of course. I am working on three to five windows and at least half a dozen programs are open all the time so mirroring would be rather time consuming and would be hours old, nor could I recover a damaged file easily - I'd have to have lots of drives and then hunt each drive for the file in question. TM is simple to use, to the user it looks like a bunch of file folders stacked one in front of the other (IIIIII....III) and you just flip through them to find the good one. I'm pretty sure you already knew all this but in case you did not there it is.

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Yep.

works

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yup. You still have to check them, sht happens easily. I understand you do partial checking. That's most likely enough, but not risk free.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Tue, 04 Jun 2019 16:49:06 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I store things that I think are important on 4 different kind of media harddisk (magnetic), FLASH (electrostatic), Bluray (optical), and paper. All multiple times on optical, a lot goes on those disks.

Everything is always read back and compared after a write to optical. The optical are stored in total darkness in a controlled climate.

The FLASH is stored in an EMP safe metal box.

Some less important things are stored on my webserver's website encrypted with key 9012jhde32 that I am sure they will keep secret from the rest of the world because I completely trust them.

The problem I have with the dripbox drawings is that it displays the file, then JUST as you try to read it blanks the screen, then after a second or 2 shows it again. Maybe my browser..

Concept of cloud sucks.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I found optical discs too unreliable.

Paper has hopeless data density, but far outlasts all the others. Updating versions on it is a bear too. Read speed is abysmal. Encryption is unworkable. Usable file formats are limited. And...

Cloud access gets cut off on a whim. The only time I used it to keep backup data they announced they were going to start charging. I tried every way to pay but none worked, and I lost access. They never sorted it. I think the company went under.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Jun 2019 22:56:45 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I am not so sure, I have now lemme see: 996 Encryption is unworkable. Usable file formats are limited. And...

Leonardo used to write from right to left, or so I have read, to keep his ideas from being read (and him being executed by the church likely). At least some people cannot read my drawings so I am safe :-)

Indeed cloud is a joke. Sometimes no access, no security.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qd7u60$p7o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Much better choice is to simply buy 2.5 inch hard drives for archiving.

Optical discs are lame because they have a small size and 'burned' discs are NOT 'burned'. A plastic layer is impinged upon by the laser, and those written locations can relax.

450 movies fit in my shirt pocket in high resolution perfection.

My laser disc and DVD and CD collection took up an entire bedroom's walls. hundreds of discs.

Cloud sucks because places get hacked. YOUR data, and your info is at risk at some point.

But if you insist on optical storage as an archival choice, then you should have moved to DVD-RAM. Far more reliable, far less error prone after years of storage.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I like that idea, I'll look into fan speed and see if it is adjustable. I suspect it is, I had a warranty replacement of my fan motor and noted it had a lot of wires! Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Yes. I also keep key backup copies on DVD. I always read back the whole DVD to check it wrote ok.

I also have two laptops which I keep synced with all the key stuff as well over my network. I will do this anytime I do any work, sometimes hourly.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

y,

Agreed. The design of much mass-market consumer electronics often seems fas t-tracked. The usability or consumer experience testing may be curtailed o r skipped. Maybe the manufacturer makes to many assumptions, e.f.g. "this small change won't hurt..." or "isn't it obvious how to navigate the menu?" , etc.

So my job is safe! Gadgets are still being made with excellent, poor, and l evels in-between, of usability. Security and Privacy testing are the newes t job opportunities -- my associates & I have big prospects here.

- Rich Sulin

Reply to
Rich S

ast-tracked. The usability or consumer experience testing may be curtailed or skipped. Maybe the manufacturer makes to many assumptions, e.f.g. "thi s small change won't hurt..." or "isn't it obvious how to navigate the menu ?", etc.

levels in-between, of usability. Security and Privacy testing are the new est job opportunities -- my associates & I have big prospects here.

IMHO most mfrs couldn't give a flying dungchip what the user experience is like. They seem in a big rush to get it out the door as quick as possible & claim as many features as possible. The rest just doesn't seem to interest them.

The result is a whole lot of goods I wouldn't buy due to a UI that even wit hout using it I can see is a disaster.

I do wish my dishwasher had more controls. They do need more than 1 program , and I curse the stupid drying cycle on mine. It takes ages and is useless , and wastes energy as well fwiw. I wish I could tell it to skip those. And it really needs another rinse. For Americans, out dishwashers are cursed b y green water saving initiatives which make them need everything prerinsing if they're to come out clean, which uses more than 10x as much water & was tes time. It's frustrating that personal injury is forbidden here.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr