locked out

We had a debacle recently here in Australia, because some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to have children sit a nation wide time-constrained exam by way of a web page.

It didn't go well.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Hey, for cooling, heat pumps = AC. It's for heating that they change their stripes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

On our microwave, only the button digits 5678 and 9 work. That can be a challenge for cooking and especially for setting the clock.

The door handle broke long ago, but I kluged up a new one. Microwave handles break a lot.

lunatic fringe electronics

And they can gradually degrade your living experience, and then offer to sell you an upgrade to put you back to where you were previously.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Very much agree. I had a home in Cupertino that used a heat pump. It was OK in the summer, but useless in the winter when you need it the most.

I have now switched over to Heat Recovery Ventilation(HRV). This provides year-round ventilation for the entire house or apartment. It can conserve up to 90% of the heat in your home during the winter, and reject an equal amount of hot outside in the summer. No moving parts except the fans.

All you need is a small heater in the winter, and perhaps a portable air conditioner for those really hot days in the summer.

One really important thing to do is seal all the openings in the ceiling. You would be amazed how much heat you can lose in the winter due to warm air leaking into the attic.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

How could a heat pump not work in silly valley? It doesn't usually get below 20F, here, but they work fine. My brother even had one in the Philly burbs.

I'd like to have one for the basement but it couldn't work alone.

Completely sealing a house isn't good either.

Reply to
krw

I'm currently cold despite having the heater on due to the cold blustery wind blowing up through the floorboards, and looking at electric staplers to fix some sarking down in the garage. We don't do USA-style basements here in Australia, and my office has no carpet.

Clifford Heath

Reply to
Clifford Heath

"USA-style basements aren't ubiquitous in the USA, either. In fact, they're rather unusual in the Southern and Western states where it's relatively flat. In Northern states, the foundation has to be below the frost line, so might just as well make that space usable. In locations where the frost doesn't penetrate very deep, this is an unwanted expense. It's only on hillsides, where one side of the house is below grade, where you see basements. These are known as "walk-out basements" (for the obvious reasons) and are very nice. ...and no, you can't have mine! ;-)

It sounds like you have construction that we would call a "crawl space", where there is unheated air below the house? It's not sealed off at all? Where that's done here, the crawl space is usually sealed from the outside air and insulation is added in the house floor. We don't use sarking boards, either, rather sheet goods. When I had a (partial) crawl space, I added insulation and then put house wrap on the "cold" side to help seal it some more.

The other construction method (most common here) is just pour a concrete slab and build on that. No air under it at all.

Reply to
krw

Don't forget to also blacklist Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Ignis, Indesit, Consul, and possibly Hotpoint, Diqua, Affresh, Acros, and Yummly, all of which are owned by Whirlpool Corp:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

No need, I have one. A drive-in basement, no less :)

That's normal here, but our block is a series of sandstone terraces with the house built on the first step. We excavated some rock, laid concrete, and now I have 850 square feet of floor space with an 8' ceiling and a single-width roll-a-door for the car.

It needs to be well vented or everything goes either rusty or mouldy. And even then it's an issue.

Sarking here is a flexible foil sandwich. It's required e.g. under weatherboards for safety against bushfire embers (no gaps bigger than a

3mm rod could enter), apart from the thermal benefits. Point is, the sarking goes under whatever comes next.

Common enough here too, if you can find or excavate a flat surface.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Jun 2019 16:20:39 -0500) it happened Joe Chisolm wrote in :

I have a LG robotic vacuum cleaner, most of the time it is stuck screaming at you that it is stuck, had a big speaker and amplifier. POS.

Bought some cheap other one that actually can get under the bench and TV table. But it is faster hovering yourself and that does not turn over the plant pots.

OTOH I have a LG MDISC DVD burner and that works OK, YMMV.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Jun 2019 17:49:17 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Same here for coffee, but use Brazilian beans and heat the water in the microwave.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:44:51 +1000) it happened Sylvia Else wrote in :

Some month ago it happened several times you could not pay in the shops with your chip card.... Few people carry that much cash around anymore here, big damage to the shops, no sales, could not even order online, bank software was 'hacked' they said. My test showed I could reach them but their servers were dead. Well..

It is getter weirder all the time. I have more than one bank account (backup), one just changed the system and send me an email the old system would no longer work after June 1. OK, for the new system I needed an android app or a special scanner. But you could not order the scanner, could only order it 2 weeks ago, So came May 31, and no scanner delivered (I do not use android crap), so I transfered all money to my other bank. THEN called the helpdesk where my scanner was. Oh, that will take 4 weeks... So how does one pay with online banking then? (just teasing), could not care less as I only left 50 $ in that account. Oh no problem use the old system.

Bunch of idiots !

My take on it is: Get some gold. I case it all breaks down that will keep you going.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a microwave I want a keypad and two buttons. One button+keypad allows me to set the power in 10% steps, the other allows me to set the time in 1s steps.

Obviously I wouldn't bother with 5m17s, but I do like to be able to set 5s, 10s, 15s accurately, and I can't do that with a knob.

I don't want lots of unintelligible ideograms (idiotgrams?) selecting different cooking profiles.

OTOH, on a previous microwave one column of keys stopped working, but it was adequate to set 1m30s by entering 90, or 1m by entering 60.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I had one like that; realising that the timer is a simple decimal downcounter that can be preset to "out of range" values (e.g. 90s) made life tolerable for me.

Door seals are one thing I don't want damaged on a microwave.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's only sane.

Fraudsters deplete an account.

ATM systems go down.

India I've come across some /cities/ which only took Mastercard, and others that only took Visa.

I have that too, but the denominations are excessively large.

One advantage of Britannia and Sovereign coins in the UK is that if their value goes up the taxman cannot claim capital gains tax.

Why not? Because those coins are legal tender with a stated face value.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Maybe we should let children pilot the 737-MAX.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

On a sunny day (Tue, 4 Jun 2019 07:04:33 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

True, OTOH there are gold shops buying even in small villages here, you could always cut up a Mapleleaf :-)

Of course in a real disaster scenario it is hard to tell, I noticed the gold shop uses some computer to get latest price...

Sailboat, sail away, live on dry food and oranges, watermaker, catch fish... to an not contaminated place...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hehe. In between "I don't know how to make my machine do X", and "OMG you kids have utterly fouled this thing up!" there is hopefully a safe and useful way to operate most machines... though with the 737-Max way has some very narrow parts!

Learnability and predictability are not the same thing!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That explains it! :)

Reply to