Less obese Verilog tools

You'll not find an end-to-end open source solution, the internals of fpgas are closely guarded secrets and there isn't really any way to get to a bit file without using the Xilinx tools

They want a valid address for the license to cover their ass, I have one with my home address and one with my home address

It may say something like you can only move a license 5 times and to make sure you have stopped using the old host, but I've never had any problems, just generate a new webpack license for the new host

I believe you could also use a virtual network card

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Den mandag den 31. marts 2014 18.03.40 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

the xilinx tools will sorta do that but I doubt it is very useful because it is targeted at the available hardware, like luts, certain arrays of gates etc.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

They claimed someplace that their ISE tools were regulated by the Commerce Department.

I liked living in a country where the law meant what it said. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There's not one regulating body that can nail you. There are several; DOC, DOD, something else. Banks are lucky: they can choose between regulators.

It's easier to just give up exporting stuff, but you also have to guarantee that if you sell to a US company, *they* won't export stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I had to provide an end-use agreement saying I wouldn't be doing any NBC weapons work or nuclear propulsion using their products.

I wonder if that excludes it from use in a solar sail project..

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'm just getting back to using T-bird for newsgroups again after my laptop died back at turkey day. I have to remember to use the "Followup" button rather than the reply button, lol. At least this fixed the no-update problem I was having...

I use the Lattice tools which use Active-HDL for simulation and Synplify for synthesis. I have only a little trouble with them and have *never* had any problems getting as many license files as I needed. My only complaint is that I have to renew the license file every year and invariably the old one expires at the most inconvenient time possible.

If you want to use a Xilinx part you will have to use their tools to generate the bit stream. But you can do the rest of your work with any toolset you want and should have little trouble porting the source code to the Xilinx platform. There is no such thing as open source "end to end" FPGA tools because the bit stream conversion uses proprietary information which is rather difficult to reverse engineer.

--

Rick
Reply to

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Mar 2014 13:01:57 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

I dunno, I have an older Linux version of webpack, copied it from old PC to new, and have a copy on laptop too IIRC The Linux JTAG programmer was written by somebody here, I changed it for direct I/O, then made a Raspberry version with I/O via GPIO: Ferry Old link:

Bit more recent for Raspberry:

It all works.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

but with out all that paper work the terrorist will win or something

I think we have to sign the same form just to buy resistors from digikey

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

The U.S. Department of Commerce is responsible for administration of the atmosphere. That's pretty important work. I really like having an atmosphere.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I feel so ashamed--I had no idea that I owe the air I breathe to the benevolence of the US Government. Now I love Big Brother.

:(

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Save your money, because you'll need to pay the tax on the air you now breathe and future. Retroactive payments are always in the mix. Big daddy ( unnamed GOV associate ), said it's good for the soul!

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

How could that even happen? That should be controlled by the CAD software. Is the schematic also wrong?

--

Rick
Reply to

I get that sort of thing when I run the auto silk-renamer. You have to specify somewhere what type of part gets what prefix. There is a file like

2N* Q 1N* D RES* R 74HC* U ...

But some parts can fall through the cracks so you have to check the output the first time on a new board (with new parts)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The schematic and the PCB of course agree. Oscillators should be Y, not U.

I don't know how we'll ever live this down.