Leakage inductance on toroids

So, you're saying it's identical to the stray inductance of the single turn in free space?

LL (or rather, k) of an infinite solenoidal transformer is only the ratio of areas, right? Loop it around sideways into a toroid and you get much the same thing, but now the diameters are constrained to be less than the torus diameter. For the inner winding being much smaller than the outer, it could still be around A1/A2, but when they're both fairly similar to the torus diameter there's going to be something else at work, like a log of a ratio. And that doesn't say anything about a single turn, only a current sheet (infinite turns, infinnitessimal current per turn; finite total current). Ah, but counting only the stuff going through the toroid (thereby assuming that everything outside sums magically to the same flux, which fortunately, Kirchoff assures us it does), a single turn (particularly at HF where skin effect dominates) will look like a current sheet anyway, so that at least isn't too hard. So what it comes down to is, the space between the primary winding (which is a winding as such) and the secondary (a hunk of copper tubing) is where the leakage flux goes? And so, to minimize LL, one must have that pipe as large as possible, so it's as close to the primary as possible? Or alternately, have the primary wires gathered as close to the pipe as possible?

What are the limiting factors? An infinitely thin secondary seems like it should have infinite LL, but I know that a current transformer works by enclosed current alone. What's missing here?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

An ordinary helically-wound toroid is basically a perfect transformer in series with a 1-turn solenoid. There are winding tricks to reduce this by an order of magnitude or thereabouts--the simplest one is to split each winding into two sections on opposite sides of the core, wound with the same current direction and opposite helicity. (I've never done this or I'd be more specific, but I've seen references.)

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

The single turn in free space doesn't have stray inductance, save that of the hook-up and test leads.

A solenoid, infinite or otherwise, has a winding structure that has a magnetic field path twice it's physical length. The magnetic field path of a single turn in the solenoid does not, unless the permeability of an introduced core is sufficiently convincing (has a high enough permeability as compared to free space).

A single layer solenoid also has winding return leads that add to the conductor shape. In a toroid, this effect can be minimized. With only an air core, however, the effect is the same for both shapes.

Reduced leakage configuration will attempt to have all of the flux embrace all of the turns through:

interleaving of turns interleaving of layers minimizing of turns minimizing of un-interleaved turns and layers. minimizing length of flux paths that are not within the loops.

Current transformers work like any other tansformer. The secondary is effectively a short, so that inductance added to the low-turns count primary tracking is close to the leakage term that would exist if the core and secondary were not present.

RL

Reply to
legg

When the perfect transformer isn't perfect, and the core material is free space, the part doesn't get simpler - the single solenoid turn is still there, in series with the rest, reflecting worst-case effective leakage inductance of similarly shaped parts with cores and secondaries.

RL

Reply to
legg

- not 'worst-case'; a minimum.

RL

Reply to
legg

I don't mean that winding tricks can improve the core behaviour, or increase its effective permeability. But the solenoidal field (oriented 90 degrees from the normal toroidal part) can be reduced a lot by winding tricks. This can help pickup a lot.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I think not...

-- Thanks, Fred.

Reply to
Fred_Bartoli

I should say, its inductance. Making the assumption that, in terms of actual volts (which may not be measurable with real probes, in the same way that a single thermocouple junction is unmeasurable with probes), most of the voltage generated is where the wire passes through the toroid, so that the rest of the loop doesn't matter as far as transformer action and you would therefore wish to minimize all that loopiness, becoming undesirable stray inductance instead.

Wait, what does this paragraph have to do with mine? And it doesn't help that you cut the paragraph mid sentence, which doesn't even make sense. I mean, yes magnetic field path is what induces voltage, but length is a non sequitur, transformers work on Phi, not H.

Well, lead inductance is negligible if the turns are much more numerous than the wire's 20nH/inch inductance thing. This does happen to be a case where turns are few, so lead length may have a noticable effect, but that doesn't look like a good generalization.

As for some answers,

Indeed. But hard to interleave one turn. Next,

Ditto,

Got it,

Yup,

Okay, now slow down a moment. This one's harder. (Actually, it seems to me this is all of the above rolled into one, but nevermind that...)

Now, by "loops", you mean the loops of primary and secondary wire, correct? In the secondary case, it's just one loop, which goes around the core where most of the flux is, so we know it will transform at least. What's left is all that pesky flux around the outside, but like the solenoid, the external field is fairly small so this flux is also small (ignoring the noticable fringing from the small primary turn count).

Yeah, but what happens at the secondary doesn't do anything to the intrinsic leakage, which is a geometry thing. If I put a CT around a piece of 40AWG wire, straight down the middle, would I see shitty HF bandwidth, or what?

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

It's quite simple. Make half the winding, using up to half the core (say from left to right across the bottom) then pass the wire through to the opposite side (mirror image) from where you started, and make the second half of the winding (again from left to right, but across the top).

Reply to
Clifford Heath