Leak detector

I am making a leak detector. Nothing fancy just couple of probes which short out in case of a leak. I was thinking of using an analog IC to do this instead of using discrete components. Can any one suggest some design ideas, any particualar ICs. One that comes to mind is AD8555. Thanks in advance....

Reply to
learnfpga

That chip looks like major overkill for this application. Do you know the wet and dry resistance ranges? You usully need neither speed nor high gain for this type of use.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Well the reason I was looking at this was because this is going to be in a noisy environment and in this case the probes may act as antennas which may cause the sensor to report faulty output (detecting leak even when there is no leak). However if you have a simpler suggestion its most welcome. Thanks...

Reply to
learnfpga

The usual solution to this kind of noise, since you probably dont need very fast response, is to do heavy filtering. I usually ground one of the probes (no noise on that one), and put some series resistor (10k ?) in series from the other probe with maybe 10 to 100 uf capacitor to ground. This should also get rid of stray 60hz pickup with a response time of a couple of seconds. If that works for you.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

What exactly is leaking?

I find that a lit match works pretty well for natural gas. ;-)

Error: Keyboard not attached.  Press F1 to continue.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

and i guess that would be termed as arson...... anyways its water leaking in very small amounts and in a very noisy environment........ some kind of differential method will be good I think.... thanks

Reply to
learnfpga