Micro controllers with UHF transceivers?

Hello Folks,

After some Google searching and perusing the sites of the usual contenders I only found one uC family that has serious on-chip RF transceiver capabilities, the Cypress CYWUSB6953 and its brethren. rfPICs and others usually only have a transmitter.

Anyhow, the Cypress will only serve 2.45GHz but I need the lower UHF bands for range reasons. Is anything coming down the pike soon or will that have to remain a two-chip solution?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How about CC1110F32 from TI.

don

Reply to
donald

Thanks, Don! How could I have missed that? I was looking at lots of CC11xx datasheets today. Five bucks is a bit highish but would work in this case. I guess the programmers will throw tomatoes when I suggest that. It's a 8051 core (I love the 8051...)

For some reason TI's server was choking a lot today.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've been looking at useing this myself.

don

Reply to
donald

You should consider this part limited lifespan IMHO precisely because of the 51 core. Remember Chipcon is now owned by TI. I would say if your design horizon exceeds 3~4 years it would be better not to pick this part.

What part of the spectrum are you trying to cover; 433MHz? 860-ish? Quite a few solutions aimed at markets like RKE. For example Atmel covers certain frequencies from 315 to 915MHz ASK/FSK selectable.

Reply to
larwe

only found one uC family that has serious

brethren. rfPICs and others usually only have a

for range reasons. Is anything coming down the

datasheets today. Five bucks is a bit highish

I suggest that. It's a 8051 core (I love the

That's a neat part. 2 wire programming too.

Martin Riddle

That's some strange logic.

TI has had '51 devices in their USB and BurrBrown product lines for some time.

There is no reason to re-spin proven die, to swap-out one core, and put another in ?!. This is engineering, not fashion.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Joerg hath wroth:

Atmel:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If it is a 2.4GHz transceiver you need (and not a complete wireless USB link), you should have a look at

If you can live with a 8051-compatible CPU core (_you_ can, I suppose), something like the 24E1 might be a reasonable choice.

What range do you need? With chips from Nordic, we ended our free air tests when the parking lot of the company ended - nearly 100m, and zero transmission errors. Ok, in a crowded train station it was about 30m with 50% errors.

Regards Michael

Reply to
Michael Linnemann

Suppose I told you that I /know/ it is being done, I'm not merely theorizing? The interest is that MSP430 is low-power-optimized and a lot of applications for the Chipcon standalone txcvr parts are battery- powered.

I also believe those old parts are made on a fairly ancient process which TI would like to retire, but that latter comment is just hearsay.

Reply to
larwe

You think Chipcon might dry up after the aquisition? That wouldn't be good. TI had touted in a MSP seminar more than a year ago that there would be MSP430 with RF on board. But none so far. What's wrong with a

51 core? Tons of products still use it, including almost anything installed in our house.

Has to be worldwide, longer range (several hundred feet out of a building), preferably without re-config. That rules out anything but the

433MHz band. Here, the FCC limits burst mode tricks to 20dB net power advantage AFAIK.

I checked Atmel but among the available chip found only transmitters on there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The ATA chips don't contain a micro controller ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Look up the thread "Chipcon/8051 sanity check" from March this year.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
13 official architecture ports, 1000 downloads per week.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Mmm... have you ever tried an AVR or an MSP430?

Of course, if they're programming in C it's a relatively moot point -- the move to using higher-level languages has, IMHO, keep a lot of less-than-stellar CPU architectures viable. (Not points for lumping x86 into that list :-) ).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I don't suppose you came across any receive-only chips (rx + microcontroller) in your search, did you?

Presumably there's nothing wrong with using one of those ChipCom ICs in receive-only mode, although the currents are a little higher (18.9mA) than I'd like and I'm thinking that perhaps an IC optimized as receive-only could be less.

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hmm, did they really say "not for volume production"? That thread was half a year ago and they still offer the chips. Also, I wonder what alternatives there really are if 2.45GHz ain't cutting it because of lack of range.

Maybe I should resort to rolling my own, just like I usually do in the analog world.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Actually yes but I tossed them all because long term they aren't useful for me. There has to be feedback about machine status.

The only disconcerting thing is that Digikey doesn't seem to carry them. Usually a red flag for me, so Lewin might have a point here. But what alternatives are there really? Maybe we should stay with the two-chip strategy for a while until the dust has settled.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, the MSP430 but they are still too expensive.

For most of my clients this is the order of priority:

  1. Cost
  2. 2nd Source
  3. 2nd Source
  4. 2nd Source
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg hath wroth:

Oops. Only the transmitter is integrated with a MARC4 controller on the ATAR862-8. The receiver is stand alone. Sorry.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I think that the MSP430 with on-chip RF is going to replace the 51 parts.

Sure, but the target markets for much of Chipcon's stuff would benefit from an MSP430 core.

Depends on the application. In my day job I work a little lower down in the band, ASK, low duty cycle.

Eh? Did you find your way to this page:

Reply to
larwe