Lattice Tech Support

Has anyone had the fruitless task of asking these guys for support, for information that isn't in their datasheets?

Apart from chasing emails from them, asking if I still want assistance, nothing of any use has come my way.

Reply to
Mike Perkins

Like with many companies Lattice support is literally worth bupkis. To get support you should track down an FAE either from Lattice or from a distributor. My Lattice guy saved my butt once by telling me indirectly that I could use the same bit stream in the 3.3V only parts as in the 1.2V core parts because they are the same die with different bonding. That allowed me to use the two versions without having to qualify a second bit stream.

Reply to
Rick C

Is there anything someone here or in comp.lang.fpga might help with?

Reply to
Rick C

This is a video HDMI decoder. Though it is perhaps more likely to be inhabited with people direct Lattice company interests.

There is one set of registers on top of another, and another set that is non-volatile for which there is no assistance in the datasheets.

The trouble is most devices require you to pay for a Macrovision license, something I certainly don't need.

Reply to
Mike Perkins

Are you saying you are working with a Lattice IP block? Or is this a third party IP block? I don't understand what you are saying is the issue.

Why would you pay for a license you don't need? Are you saying "most devices" are the things you will be connected to? I believe that is a function of the HDMI spec, no? They have some means of IP protection. It has been a long time since I paid any attention to HDMI, but I think it is only protected IP being transmitted over HDMI that is "protected" and other signals can be captured. No?

Reply to
Rick C

Yes, completely fruitless. If they provide a useful answer at all, it is way too late -- guessing by comparing datasheets of different families or rev enging using a logic analyser is the way to go.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Lattice sell HDMI/TMDS video decoders as a result of a take over another, I forget their name.

The issue is if you buy an IC that has Macrovision, even if you don't use it, you still need to purchase a license. I don't make the rules.

Reply to
Mike Perkins

You still didn't answer the question. Are you talking about an IP block or a physical chip?

From this it seems you are talking about a physical chip. If you don't want to use and pay for the Macrovision part, why not use a different chip??? Isn't the license fee for a chip included in the price of the chip?

How does any of this relate to the Lattice support issue?

Reply to
Rick C